The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Just hope we’re doing the right thing if we’re going for Butland. Can’t help thinking McCrorie would be the better option for No1 and we get some young goalie from Europe to push him for the No1 spot

I think you've got to bear in mind that McCrorie has only played in 4 games for Rangers, yes 2 were against Celtic, but he's still relatively untested in a Rangers shirt. I think we have no choice but to bring in an experienced keeper to either push him for number 1, or to be the number 1 with McCrorie pushing him, which for me is preferable.

Another way to look at it is that half the games he's played in have been games where he's likely busy. We don't know for sure how he will do when he regularly plays in games with nothing to do for 85 minutes. We don't know how McCrorie will react if he makes a mistake, he may excel, he may crumble. He's also still on the young side for a keeper, so plenty of time. With those unknowns, I think we have no choice but to go out and look for a number 1 and maybe use McCrorie as the cup keeper for example.

I can see both points of view as if we don't throw him in, we will never know the answers to the above, but I still feel time is on his side.

Edited by lenny3k

I would have thought we're also likely to try and punt McLaughlin so I don't think it would be smart to try and bring a young keeper in to push McCrorie when we might need to find 2 keepers

Edited by lenny3k

What’s the matter we don’t have money to waste McCrorie has done well in the few games he’s played he has now served his apprenticeship why waste a small fortune on Butlands wages when that money could be used in other positions 

2 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

If Butland is within our wage structure, it's a no brainer for us.

Robbie will have to bide his time, like McGregor had to.

It might be that the plan is to start the season with Butland as No 1 and end it with McRorie

1 hour ago, compo said:

What’s the matter we don’t have money to waste McCrorie has done well in the few games he’s played he has now served his apprenticeship why waste a small fortune on Butlands wages when that money could be used in other positions 

We need a back up goalkeeper too remember. In my opinion McLaughlin isn't good enough.

So, if you decide mccrorie is your number 1, then you're gonna buy a keeper to be his understudy, that's a hard sell to a good keeper, so we end up with a mclaughlin level keeper.

That's not what you want IMHO, you want a bloody good keeper to push young Robbie on and eventually take over.

And you want this same rivalry throughout the whole team.

MB just said on interview with BBC that we'll hopefully be announcing a new signing at the game on Wednesday. 

Hope he's not just trying to bump the crowd up a little bit 🤷‍♂️😀

Give McCrorie the job he can and will get better with game’s , first team game’s will bring experience it’s the only way he will get better not sitting on a bench buy someone to be his backup if Butland was any good he would have replace De gea who if you listen to some united fans is a bit of a liability.