The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

• 1.7 Interceptions Per Game
  • 1.6 Tackles Per Game
  • 58% Total Duels Won (4.2)
  • 57% Ground Duels Won (2.2)
  • 59% Aerial Duels Won (2)

Courtesy of Rangers Journal so I think it's accurate.

Haven't got context/caveats or comparisons (and yes, that is important with stats) but at face value he's pretty solid for his age. He's not far off being very good in those criteria if 2+ for Interceptions and Tackles is exceptional and 60%+ in all Duels is above average as well.

Anyone who knows more than me with what averages for those would be good feel free to add, just wanted to fire them in.

37 minutes ago, yuddie said:
  • 1.6 Tackles Per Game

Haven't got context/caveats or comparisons (and yes, that is important with stats) but at face value he's pretty solid for his age. He's not far off being very good in those criteria if 2+ for Interceptions and Tackles is exceptional and 60%+ in all Duels is above average as well.

Anyone who knows more than me with what averages for those would be good feel free to add, just wanted to fire them in.

Panzo?

40 minutes ago, yuddie said:
  • 1.6 Tackles Per Game

You're better getting your stats from Opta, not a betting site.

@Bill - LOOK AWAY!

Panzo:

Screenshot2023-06-1114_06_35.thumb.png.f81cabdc3968319feace8d15d06b3478.png

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You're better getting your stats from Opta, not a betting site.

@Bill - LOOK AWAY!

Panzo:

Screenshot2023-06-1114_06_35.thumb.png.f81cabdc3968319feace8d15d06b3478.png

Thanks, I’ve been missing these since Caskie has gone quiet on Twitter. Aerial duels is worrying for me. That's critical in Scotland. It's by far the biggest threat the diddy teams in our league carry, and they also play long ball. Going by the other duals stats, he seems a similar profile to Davies in that he doesn't enjoy duels, albeit he's hopefully more athletic and better on the ball. I said the same about Davies last summer based on the stats.
I note this graph compares him to centre backs, and I think he's player left of a back 3 and left back on occasion which may explain why  some of the attacking stats are so good. 

19 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Thanks, I’ve been missing these since Caskie has gone quiet on Twitter. Aerial duels is worrying for me. That's critical in Scotland. It's by far the biggest threat the diddy teams in our league carry, and they also play long ball. Going by the other duals stats, he seems a similar profile to Davies in that he doesn't enjoy duels, albeit he's hopefully more athletic and better on the ball. I said the same about Davies last summer based on the stats.
I note this graph compares him to centre backs, and I think he's player left of a back 3 and left back on occasion which may explain why  some of the attacking stats are so good. 

Transfermrkt only has him playing left of a back-three this season - FBref doesn't have an option to compare him to FBs.

Trusty looks similar (compared to CBs, then FBs), better defensively - slightly, but that might be explained by a more defensive Birmingham side - but Panzo looks better with the ball at his feet. Panzo is two years younger.

Screenshot2023-06-1114_19_37.thumb.png.8736900b78bf2fb8eacc989bb1a64013.pngScreenshot2023-06-1114_20_09.thumb.png.8d95faa2c431d77b3d31b60fec67a0da.png

You've got to remember that he's 22 years old to be fair, for a centre back he's still an infant. He won't hit his peak for another 5 or 6 years, or at least conventions would dictate that.

I'd be happy with this one, we haven't really had a centre back with pace for awhile..says a lot that since Gerrard the quickest is maybe Leon Balogun? And he was in his 30's and crocked.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Transfermrkt only has him playing left of a back-three this season - FBref doesn't have an option to compare him to FBs.

Trusty looks similar (compared to CBs, then FBs), better defensively - slightly, but that might be explained by a more defensive Birmingham side - but Panzo looks better with the ball at his feet. Panzo is two years younger.

Screenshot2023-06-1114_19_37.thumb.png.8736900b78bf2fb8eacc989bb1a64013.pngScreenshot2023-06-1114_20_09.thumb.png.8d95faa2c431d77b3d31b60fec67a0da.png

As you say, hard to compare as they’ve played at opposite ends of the table, and I’m not clear on exactly what those stats are in terms of frequency vs success. More detailed stats would be good. Trusty looks the better player defensively, 99 for blocks is interesting compared to 17. If it’s just frequency then it doesn’t mean a huge amount. I remember for some reason it was an area Katic was rubbish in though, whereas Helander had great stats for it. That’s the kind of thing that is hard to notice with the naked eye but the stats tell a story. 

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

As you say, hard to compare as they’ve played at opposite ends of the table, and I’m not clear on exactly what those stats are in terms of frequency vs success. More detailed stats would be good. Trusty looks the better player defensively, 99 for blocks is interesting compared to 17. If it’s just frequency then it doesn’t mean a huge amount. I remember for some reason it was an area Katic was rubbish in though, whereas Helander had great stats for it. That’s the kind of thing that is hard to notice with the naked eye but the stats tell a story. 

That little graph above is just frequency per 90.

There is a lot more data on the rest of the page.

FBref[dot]com

https://boldsportsng.com/rangers-keen-on-josh-maja-signing/

Glasgow Rangers are prepared to make a strong push to secure the signing of Josh Maja following Bordeaux’s inability to earn promotion to the French Ligue 1 at the conclusion of the 2022/23 French Ligue 2 campaign.

The Nigerian international has long been a target for the Ibrox side, who had hoped to acquire his services for the 2022/23 season. However, the former Sunderland and Fulham striker chose to remain in France and assist Bordeaux in their quest to return to the top flight. Unfortunately, Les Girondins fell short of their objective, finishing third in the league standings.

Despite Maja’s contribution of 16 goals for the French side, it was insufficient to secure promotion to the top league due to a new promotion rule that allows only two teams to move up, reducing the number of teams in Ligue 1 to 18.

After June 30, the 24-year-old will be free to depart from Bordeaux, as per a prior understanding with the club that permits him to leave if they fail to reach the top flight.

While Maja has the option to re-sign with Bordeaux, it is reported by France Bleau that he is expected to explore new opportunities this summer and could potentially join Rangers, who have been pursuing him.

“He is free to choose his destination or extend his contract in Gironde. However, as expected, he is likely to leave the club despite his strong emotional connection,” as stated by the report.

As Alfredo Morelos is set to depart upon the expiration of his contract and Antonio Colak possibly leaving if Cyriel Dessers joins Rangers manager, Michael Beale has expressed a desire to recruit several strikers during the upcoming summer transfer window.