The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

25 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I remember we signed a certain Dane who had struggled in Italian Football, and he turned out not too bad.

Lammers’ career bears no resemblance whatsoever to Laudrup’s though, let’s be honest. The 3 foreigner rule worked against Laudrup at AC Milan. But he played his part (in an team who scored 36 in 34 games) and ended that season with a Serie A winners medal and a Champions League winner. 

24 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Like I said previously though, it doesn’t mean he can’t be a success. He can’t come here and expect to be coming up with those numbers though, he’ll be taken apart by the crowd.

Absolutely. Due to the defensive nature of Italian football I'd take any stats there with a pinch of salt. If he were to come here where we dominate and need to win 3-0 most weeks, yes he needs to produce the goods.

21 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Lammers’ career bears no resemblance whatsoever to Laudrup’s though, let’s be honest. The 3 foreigner rule worked against Laudrup at AC Milan. But he played his part (in an team who scored 36 in 34 games) and ended that season with a Serie A winners medal and a Champions League winner. 

Absolutely, but my point is, his stats must have been pretty grim reading. The realists amongst us could see he was a player, but if we'd had access to XG, XD etc, I'm pretty sure lots would have been calling him down as well.

27 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'll go through it. 

I'm only going by the facts of his last season: 2 goals in 25 games, over two loan spells. That looks bad. But, it's only bad if he's getting hundreds of chances. If he's only getting a couple of chances, then no one - not even Haaland - will score a lot.

I'm then looking at his xG: The quality of the chances he has had. His xG for the season was 4: from the quality and quantity of the he's had, he should have scored 4. 

So, he is under-performing, but it's not atrocious. 

My other point was he looks like a pressing forward: good presser, good defensive numbers and a good link-up player. Those types don't necessarily score a lot - Firmino, for example; he scored 10-15 goals a season. (I'm not saying he's as good as Firmino, just that he looks that style of player.)

That's all I'm saying. 

Why only look at the last season though? It's been three years of no return, that's not a blip its consistently terrible. I hope Beale has been scouting him recently and isn't buying based on what he remembers from years past. I'm sure he's done his due diligence but it is a worry.

13 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Absolutely. Due to the defensive nature of Italian football I'd take any stats there with a pinch of salt. If he were to come here where we dominate and need to win 3-0 most weeks, yes he needs to produce the goods.

Thing is he's been in Germany too and had scant return there either.

You can only score from the chances that are given. Fair enough.

Is a forward player supposed to be able create his own chances (Laudrup) or just bang in goals from chances created by others (Flo)?

What if a player doesn’t get many chances because he can’t read the play or is too slow to move? Nonetheless, he scores two goals in a season from two chances. What a striker! 100% conversion rate.

23 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Why only look at the last season though? It's been three years of no return, that's not a blip its consistently terrible. I hope Beale has been scouting him recently and isn't buying based on what he remembers from years past. I'm sure he's done his due diligence but it is a worry.

Just because it's more work. I can give you the data but I'm not converting it all:

2018/19: 0.37 goals per 90 from an xG of 0.34 per 90.

2019/20: 0 g/90 from xG of 0.2 p/90. (I think he was injured this season?)

2020/21: (I don't have this data. It's 2 goals in 15 games, but I don't have the xG data to tell us the quality of the chances he had.)

2021/22: 0.17 g/90 from an xG of 0.19 p/90.

2022/23: 0.09 g/90 from an xG of 0.22 p/90.

Just compare the emboldened numbers. If we were to judge each season: 18/19, very good; 19/20, very bad; 20/21, don't know; 21/22, good; 22/23, OK.