Mateusz Zukowski returns

FORGOTTEN Rangers right back Mateusz Zukowski is on his way back to Ibrox with Lech Poznan declining to exercise their buy-out option after a disastrous loan spell.

The 21-year-old Pole moved to Ibrox in January last year in a £400,000 four-year deal from Lechia Gdansk and made his debut in a Scottish Cup victory over Annan Athletic.

However, he failed to make an impact and fell behind Scotland Under 21s star Adam Devine as back-up to Rangers captain James Tavernier.

When he signed on loan at Lech Poznan, the club's sports director Tomasz Rzasa stated: said: "Mateusz has been loaned to us until the end of this season, we also have a guaranteed buy-out option."

But his return to Polish football at Lech has not worked out well and he made just two sub appearances this season for the club in the league.

And Lech Poznan announced this week Zukowski would return to Rangers, where he still has two-and-a-half years left and faces an uncertain future

They stated: "The four players we have on loan - Dominik Holec (Sparta Prague), Artur Rudko (Metalist Kharkiv), Heorhij Citaishvili (Dynamo Kyiv) and Mateusz Zukowski (Rangers FC) will leave and return to their clubs."

When you get young talent for "little money" and they look promising, you give them lenghty contracts, in case they turn out another Bassey. Who knows what will happen with Zukowski, yet, given the fact that we have now/soonish 3 guys for that slot, the omens are clear enough.

3 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

Odd, that you take someone on loan and don't give them a chance to play (or his two sub appearances were terrible). 

The trainers see him every day in training. He obviously hasn't impressed them on the training field.

It might seem a bit contrarian but I'm not buying the view this guy isn't worthy of a place at Rangers. He was well regarded by the Polish FA before we signed him and was considered to have a decent future in the game. He's hardly the first foreign player we've had to settle into life in Scotland so I assume something went badly wrong when he first joined Rangers, either on his side or ours. I never felt enough effort was made to get some return from this signing and I suspect he may have been a victim of GvB's legendary man-management skills. Whenever I hear someone is "homesick", it's usually to cover up some fuck up or broken promises that the club would rather not admit to. We'll see if MB is able to resurrect a future for Zukowski at Ibrox.

14 hours ago, Bill said:

It might seem a bit contrarian but I'm not buying the view this guy isn't worthy of a place at Rangers. He was well regarded by the Polish FA before we signed him and was considered to have a decent future in the game. He's hardly the first foreign player we've had to settle into life in Scotland so I assume something went badly wrong when he first joined Rangers, either on his side or ours. I never felt enough effort was made to get some return from this signing and I suspect he may have been a victim of GvB's legendary man-management skills. Whenever I hear someone is "homesick", it's usually to cover up some fuck up or broken promises that the club would rather not admit to. We'll see if MB is able to resurrect a future for Zukowski at Ibrox.

To be fair, he only got 2 games where he got some minutes for Lech Poznan