John Greig Awarded CBE in HM The King’s Birthday Honours List

I saw one of his early games, must have been the season after the famous tour of Russia. This yong boy came running out of the tunnel behind Caldow, Shearer, Millar and McKinnon. He bossed the kick about. Commander, indeed.

• Rousseau changed the title to John Greig Commander of the British Empire
39 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I saw one of his early games, must have been the season after the famous tour of Russia. This yong boy came running out of the tunnel behind Caldow, Shearer, Millar and McKinnon. He bossed the kick about. Commander, indeed.

Ah, the days when we had a youth policy!

• Rousseau changed the title to John Greig Awarded CBE in HM The King’s Birthday Honours List

I saw Ham and Egg play in goals for Rangers. I saw him play centre forward for Rangers, an entire second half against Hearts at Ibrox when we were already 0-2 down. He scored but could not secure the equaliser. I saw him play right wing for a half hour at Fir Park in the days of one substitution, still bawling whilst hobbling. I saw him play right across the midfield in the two dozen games or more where he man marked Jimmy Johnstone. 

He knocked me off the enclosure wall in 1966 whilst playing Dortmund. A Greig clearance hit my nine year old napper. I hold no grudges and remember very little of the game.

When he took the Manager's Office, his first season was a revelation for the Rangers support. We knocked out both Juventus and PSV in the European Cup, playing Sandy Jardine as Sweeper. Sandy swept both in front and back of the back four. He was Sammer before Sammer. An injury ravaged Rangers and an appalling winter did for us in the quarters against Cologne and, the mercurial Littbarski had a say too. I remember Brian Clough after having defeated Malmo  in the final thanking Rangers and John Greig for doing the majority of the heavy lifting.

He is most worthy of his award.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Ah, the days when we had a youth policy!

Sort of. Caldow and McKinnon from Juniors. Shearer from Accies and Millar from Dunfermline, JG a schoolboy.

But I know what you mean