[FT] Rangers 1 (Lammers 64) - 2 Newcastle United

8 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Based on a tribute match/friendly...all the new guys are pish and we haven't progressed at all...🤣🤣🤣

Aye and Barasic Dowell and Lundstram are all up for sale :D 

A curate's egg of a game, I suppose:

Newcastle good in parts, Rangers bad in parts. 

Newcastle had more good parts, and less bad parts, Rangers the opposite. 

At one point in the first half, it looked as though we were on a hiding.

I would say that the trip to Germany does not seem to have sharpened up many of the players, and we looked a little lacking in pace, even Ridvan, Fashion, and Matondo coming second best in foot races, and as for Jack and Lundstram.......

The defence looked as bad as last season.

Raskin and Hagi did look the part, but, of course, we know they are quality. 

The lad Yfeko certainly stood out, with that hair, and that size, and that build, and, as a bonus, looked as though he has something about him, football-wise. The other yoof looked interested, lively, and a little quicker in thought and movement than the usual old suspects. 

I know it's early, that there were innumerable changes (thank God!), and that Newcastle are a high calibre team, with very expensive, and expensively remunerated, players, but it's always disappointing to see how far we can fall short.  We could have squeezed a draw, which might have been on the home side of a fair result. 

Perhaps we should have arranged to play Newcastle last of the pre-season fixtures. 

(And £40M for Anthony Gordon looks a steal. For Everton.)

I don't know guys, feels like a lot of wishful projecting going on with Ridvan. He's not Barasic seems to be the main thing he has going for him. Ridvan didn't look like a better defender last night, or, frankly, any other time I've seen him, and Borna sets a low bar on that score. 

He is young(ish) and perhaps a run of games will help him find some form and confidence, but the fact he can't dislodge Barasic as our first choice left back, despite his repeated lapses, tells it's own story. We'll see...

28 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

A curate's egg of a game, I suppose:

Newcastle good in parts, Rangers bad in parts. 

Newcastle had more good parts, and less bad parts, Rangers the opposite. 

At one point in the first half, it looked as though we were on a hiding.

I would say that the trip to Germany does not seem to have sharpened up many of the players, and we looked a little lacking in pace, even Ridvan, Fashion, and Matondo coming second best in foot races, and as for Jack and Lundstram.......

The defence looked as bad as last season.

Raskin and Hagi did look the part, but, of course, we know they are quality. 

The lad Yfeko certainly stood out, with that hair, and that size, and that build, and, as a bonus, looked as though he has something about him, football-wise. The other yoof looked interested, lively, and a little quicker in thought and movement than the usual old suspects. 

I know it's early, that there were innumerable changes (thank God!), and that Newcastle are a high calibre team, with very expensive, and expensively remunerated, players, but it's always disappointing to see how far we can fall short.  We could have squeezed a draw, which might have been on the home side of a fair result. 

Perhaps we should have arranged to play Newcastle last of the pre-season fixtures. 

(And £40M for Anthony Gordon looks a steal. For Everton.)

I think the team will be fine for what we require.

Win the league, Europa 'level' football and some cup runs. 

Once they gel.

Early early times. 

14 minutes ago, compo said:

You must be taking the same medication as me .

Hopium?

The truth is the team look, once gelled, like they will be able to do a job in the league...win.

They also appear, to be of a proper Europa level... afore 'gelled'.

That is what we require, what we can afford, and what we will have.

Football is like anything.

You can select between cheap, fast, and quality...but you only get two.

We have a decent mix.

Should do the job. 

Optimistic

Given that Cifuentes is seemingly arriving soon, and Raskin IMHO a certain starter, we might see back-up roles for both Jack and Lundstram soon. While this was the first real test and everyone looked a wee bit rusty (bar Cantwell, Wright, and Sakala), we were hard pressed in the first half despite having so many defensive players out there, big gaps appeared on either wing and I was wondering where Tavernier and Borna were at the time, or the DMs supposedly covering the fullbacks. Thing is, the back-line and DMs were our most settled players.

As I wrote above, we need to check out who of our attack-minded players click best and chose them according to the opposition. Good to have so much quality to chose from.