[FT] Rangers 1 (Lammers 64) - 2 Newcastle United

50 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Could be worse...I see Brenda's Braves got 6 rattled past them by Yokohama...

Ah, sounds like a good book, 'The Joy of Six'.

Admiral Yamamoto Lawwell will be obliged to commit hari-kari.

7 hours ago, compo said:

Later stages of Europe I admire your optimism 

We managed it under SG and Gio with a team of "serial losers", so why can't we manage it under Beale with an improved squad? 

9 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Dowell looked like a good passer, but not the most mobile; although, perhaps it's because he's not match fit?

I wonder if he'd be better playing at DM as a deep-lying playmaker, dictating play, etc. which would free up a place for Raskin as an #8 so he can use his energy to get about; he does score goals when playing for Belgium U21s in a more advanced position.   

No I don’t think so. Everything I’ve read about him is that he is far more comfortable as a 10 than an 8, and struggles with the defensive side of the game. Raskin needs to be the 6. Dowell will chip in with a good number of goals too. He will definitely be better than what we’ve had in midfield on that front, even if played as an 8. 

Edited by DMAA

It’s fairly early days but I like Ridvan. A much better defender than Barisic, good at quick passing and getting involved in build-up play and far more capable of getting to the byline and cutting it back than Barisic. I like how he makes underlapping runs too. He’ll never be as good a crosser but I don’t think he’s as bad as made out at crossing either. Needs a proper spell without injury this season to prove himself but I’m optimistic. 

45 minutes ago, DMAA said:

No I don’t think so. Everything I’ve read about him is that he is far more comfortable as a 10 than an 8, and struggles with the defensive side of the game. Raskin needs to be the 6. Dowell will chip in with a good number of goals too. He will definitely be better than what we’ve had in midfield on that front, even if played as an 8. 

I don't disagree with any of that, but my argument is sevenfold.

I don't see KD starting over Cantwell as a #10. Hagi may even be ahead.

He doesn’t actually score many goals; 5 is about average. I think Cantwell gets us more, Hagi gets more, and even Raskin played further forward might get us more.

He doesn’t look the most mobile for the #8 spot, although that may be down to a lack of fitness. 

His pressing didn't look great either - again, maybe settling-in issues. 

I would prefer Raskin further forward, as an #8. He's good as the #6, but I think we'd see more of his energy and goalscoring if he's played further forward.

If we continue with the diamond KD's defensive issues may be masked as he will have cover and won't get isolated. 

Arguably our best DM in recent seasons has been Davis, not great defensively. Do we even need a pure DM in most matches anyway?

It won't happen: Beale is too stubborn to take my advice; he doesn't repond to any of my numerous, numerous letters... :D

42 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Anyone else think that 6 foot 5 Butland should have got something on a looping header? 

No. It looped over him. If we was 7 foot, he'd have gotten something on it. 

8 hours ago, Uilleam said:

A curate's egg of a game, I suppose:

Newcastle good in parts, Rangers bad in parts. 

Newcastle had more good parts, and less bad parts, Rangers the opposite. 

At one point in the first half, it looked as though we were on a hiding. Agree. After 25mins, I thought we were heading for a 1 - 7 a la Liverpool!

I would say that the trip to Germany does not seem to have sharpened up many of the players, and we looked a little lacking in pace, even Ridvan, Fashion, and Matondo coming second best in foot races, and as for Jack and Lundstram.......

I'd take the opposite view. I understand we did a huge amount of running and fitness work in Germany which had been dropped the previous pre season by Gio's  backroom team. Recovery time was short before meeting a side of Newcastle's calibre. You could argue that Newcastle ran out of steam quicker after 30mins given the intensity of their high counter press. We'll be better placed after all 4 friendlies are finished to judge. Plus the quality of opposition has ramped up a bit this time. No Tranmere or Blackpool.

The defence looked as bad as last season. Almost! but I felt more comfortable when Butland had the ball at his feet than McGregor!

Raskin and Hagi did look the part, but, of course, we know they are quality. Agree

The lad Yfeko certainly stood out, with that hair, and that size, and that build, and, as a bonus, looked as though he has something about him, football-wise. The other yoof looked interested, lively, and a little quicker in thought and movement than the usual old suspects. Agree

I know it's early, that there were innumerable changes (thank God!), and that Newcastle are a high calibre team, with very expensive, and expensively remunerated, players, but it's always disappointing to see how far we can fall short.  We could have squeezed a draw, which might have been on the home side of a fair result. Agree

Perhaps we should have arranged to play Newcastle last of the pre-season fixtures. 

Perhaps. Never going  to happen as nearly every established EPL side are now off to USA or Asia playing each other for huge financial gain!

(And £40M for Anthony Gordon looks a steal. For Everton.)

Agree. An absolute over inflated "showboater". Wonderful to see two of our more enthusiastic and fitter newbies, Cantwell and Raskin, each stick one on him!🤭