Ferguson took over Man U when they hadn't won the league or anything for ages and were trying to break back into the top few challengers in England. He won their first trophy in ages to keep his job.

Le Guen took over a team that had won the league two seasons before and the treble two seasons before that, not long before that, they won two leagues in a row including a treble and a couple of seasons before that had just won their 9th league in a row.

Rangers were already one of the two main title challengers and had done well in Europe the previous season.

Expectation was far higher and yet he broke many "negative" records at the club.

Ferguson's job was akin to someone currently taking over the manager's post at the likes of Newcastle and trying to win the league or cups.

Or even harder than trying to win the league with Liverpool.

Ferguson improved the team and moved them forward when he arrived, Le Guen was going so fast backwards we had to sack him to limit the damage.

Yes I do know Rangers Won 9 League Titles in a Row. That's better than Sir Alex Ferguson's record.

Utter pish IMO.

Our 9 IAR was a very impressive feat, VERY impressive.

But IMO what Sir Alex Ferguson did with Man U is beyond comparison. He took a sleeping giant who were a poor team at best and turned them into a conveyor belt of talent, constantly challenging and, in fact, until the last 4 or 5 years, a dynasty in the EPL. Other teams won the odd title but Man U were always there or thereabouts.

The big difference between our 9IAR and their dynasty is that in England there were more teams that could compete - in Scotland for a few of the 9IAR years we were being challenged by Motherwell and Aberdeen whilst our biggest rivals (and who should have been our main challengers) were almost going out of business.

To win 9IAR is a great feat no matter what but I feel that Sir Alex with his 15 years of unparallelled success domestically (and I am not even including the CWC, CL and Euro super Cup wind) make his feat better.

But the original point from Gav was not about Sir Alex Ferguson's record but about how close he came to getting the sack (the Jim Leighton horror show) and how he turned that whole club and business around because he was given time !

Utter pish IMO.

Our 9 IAR was a very impressive feat, VERY impressive.

But IMO what Sir Alex Ferguson did with Man U is beyond comparison. He took a sleeping giant who were a poor team at best and turned them into a conveyor belt of talent, constantly challenging and, in fact, until the last 4 or 5 years, a dynasty in the EPL. Other teams won the odd title but Man U were always there or thereabouts.

The big difference between our 9IAR and their dynasty is that in England there were more teams that could compete - in Scotland for a few of the 9IAR years we were being challenged by Motherwell and Aberdeen whilst our biggest rivals (and who should have been our main challengers) were almost going out of business.

To win 9IAR is a great feat no matter what but I feel that Sir Alex with his 15 years of unparallelled success domestically (and I am not even including the CWC, CL and Euro super Cup wind) make his feat better.

But the original point from Gav was not about Sir Alex Ferguson's record but about how close he came to getting the sack (the Jim Leighton horror show) and how he turned that whole club and business around because he was given time !

there havent been too many contenders for the EP title over the last twenty years craig. in fact only four clubs have won it. (Blacburn, Manu, Arsenal & Chelsea). and its been a continual two horse race over that time too. Given the financial clout man united have too, well they can afford any price they want so they will always be up there.

there havent been too many contenders for the EP title over the last twenty years craig. in fact only four clubs have won it. (Blacburn, Manu, Arsenal & Chelsea). and its been a continual two horse race over that time too. Given the financial clout man united have too, well they can afford any price they want so they will always be up there.

I don't disagree that in the last 5-10 year the top clubs have broken away but when Sir Alex took that job on they weren't even close to being contenders.

I would never take anything away from our achievement of 9IAR but I honestly cannot see how that is a better record than what Sir Alex has done over the last 15-20 years there.