[FT] Servette 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 51)

1 hour ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

"Eridivisie is a top 5 league". Is this just your opinion? This is just my opinion, but off the top of my head England, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, France & Russia (when included) are all much better leagues.  

France dropped out of the "top 5" earlier this year

Just a wee side note from our European adventures. It was mentioned recently that we may be eligible for an extended version of the World Club Cup due to our recent European exploits. I recall that our participation was dependent on certain conditions ie. How we fared in Europe this year. Does anyone know the full details of this and what we need to achieve to take part?

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Just a wee side note from our European adventures. It was mentioned recently that we may be eligible for an extended version of the World Club Cup due to our recent European exploits. I recall that our participation was dependent on certain conditions ie. How we fared in Europe this year. Does anyone know the full details of this and what we need to achieve to take part?

Currently, our club coefficient ranks us as last club for eligible for Europe, but it does include points from Europe this season, so we need to stay ahead of our closest challengers: 

Taken From The Scostman: 

Despite Celtic’s domestic dominance in recent years, Rangers would qualify as Scotland’s entrant as their European coefficient ranking of 38.000 is far superior to Celtic’s 15.000 across the last three seasons. Club Brugge of Belgium with 35.000, Dinamo Zagreb of Croatia with 33.00 and Shakhtar Donetsk of Ukraine with 31.000 pose the biggest threat of overtaking the Ibrox club.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/rangers-in-line-for-lucrative-club-world-cup-spot-why-celtic-will-miss-out-4175440

Just another wee side note regarding the progress of our new signings. It's clear to see Dessers/Danilo are not up to speed yet and I've seen some mention of how they compare to Celtics Japanese signings a few seasons ago. It's worth noting that Kyogo came to Celtic in the middle of a J League season so was already in tip top condition. Hatate came in at the end of a J League season so once again was fully up to speed. From our point of view, you can already see Cifuentes is relatively up to speed as he has came in the middle of a MSL season. 

11 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

Club Brugge of Belgium with 35.000, Dinamo Zagreb of Croatia with 33.00 and Shakhtar Donetsk of Ukraine with 31.000 pose the biggest threat of overtaking the Ibrox club.

Whether they catch up with us may well depend upon what competition we end up in.  

Edited by Gonzo79

12 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Bugger are in the Conference League so I'm not sure if you get less points for that?

Only very marginally less - the convoluted points system is explained here:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/calc.html

The chances are they'll score higher than they would if they were in the Europa. I'd be surprised if they didn't progress through at least a couple of rounds of the knockout stages.

So the buggers have probably the best chance of any team of catching us.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Whether they catch up with us may well depend upon what competition we end up in.  

Indeed. Moreover, it depends on what competition they will play in. 

Club Bruges: Over-performed massively in Europe last year - came 2nd in CL groups with 11 points, but came undone in round of 16.  This year they are playing to qualify for the Europe Conf. Groups already 5-1 up from first leg. They could go quite deep in that competition, our biggest threat. 

Dinamo Zagreb: Like us, in the CL qualifiers. They are 2-1 down from 1st leg (home) against AEK Athens. We should probably hope they make it to the CL, where points will be tougher to come by, but looks like they may also drop into the EL Groups. They played in CL last season and took a gallant 4 points though, but came last. No EL fall-back. 

Shakhtar Donetsk: As winners of the UPL, they were straight into the CL groups. They managed 6 points in the CL group stage last season and dropped to the EL where they failed at round of 16. A big threat, if they again do well in the CL and drop to the EL, but they are also the furthest behind on current points. 

Edited by weebluedevil

5 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Only very marginally less - the convoluted points system is explained here:

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/calc.html

The chances are they'll score higher than they would if they were in the Europa. I'd be surprised if they didn't progress through at least a couple of rounds of the knockout stages.

So the buggers have probably the best chance of any team of catching us.

Cheers Thinker. I thought it was it something like this. With regards to Dinamo Zagreb, they lost 2-1 at home in the 1st league of their CL qualifier and randomly play the 2nd leg in Greece on Saturday.