[FT] Rangers 0 - 1 Celtic

17 hours ago, Rousseau said:

The Celtic player, in control of the ball, is in the process of kicking (connecting with) the ball and Dessers trips him. 

It's a foul, for me. 

When I first saw it, I thought, that'll be chalked off. 

I'm not aggrieved. 

I could be wrong - I dont know the rules - but it's certainly not cheating, IMO. 

I don't know how on earth you could say that.  We had a clear view in the main stand front and didn't think it was a foul at the time and the video confirms that. Cheated by VAR and the ref but that changes nothing for me.  We were a shambles again. It is now affecting the players badly.  They lack confidence which will be made worse by the fans reaction today. I am not blaming the fans.  If we don't change the manager soon it will be too late and we will lose the League cup and be so behind in the league we won't be able to recover.  Apologies for the rant.

44 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I don't know how on earth you could say that.  We had a clear view in the main stand front and didn't think it was a foul at the time and the video confirms that. Cheated by VAR and the ref but that changes nothing for me.  We were a shambles again. It is now affecting the players badly.  They lack confidence which will be made worse by the fans reaction today. I am not blaming the fans.  If we don't change the manager soon it will be too late and we will lose the League cup and be so behind in the league we won't be able to recover.  Apologies for the rant.

I watched the replay(s). 

Several times. 

It's a foul. 

I agree about the rest. 

From Brother Madden:

“The defender is in control.

“The defender’s action is to play the ball with his left foot.

"This is the important part.

“The attacker has not played the ball at this point and puts his foot in between defender and ball.

“It’s a foul anywhere on the pitch, no matter what happens thereafter.

“Had the attacker played the ball before the contact, fine, but he was never in control or in possession.

“Live, like most people watching, I would never think foul.

“Naturally you would think “he has p****d about and been caught on the ball”.

“But when you have VAR and all the angles you can’t allow a goal when you have that evidence.”

29 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Steady the buffs young man we can’t lose the league cup as we don’t hold it Celtic we’re last season’s winners 

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

So with ex-referees having different views shows VAR should never have got involved. It wasn't a clear and obvious error. 

100%, It wasn't a clear and obvious error and therfore VAR should have gotten involved in.

However, I am still struggling to understand how it was a foul in any case - obvious error or not. 

Rousseau states that  “The attacker has not played the ball at this point and puts his foot in between defender and ball."  - I don't see that, he plants his foot next to the defender, and the defender falls after clipping the back of Dessers leg as he continues his run. As you can see below, Dessers does not put himself between the defender and the ball. He won the ball fairly. 

Listen, it is splitting opinion, even between referees, so according to the Laws of VAR, Muir should not have gotten involved as it was NOT a clear and obvious error to allow the goal. 

image.png.712a3c8a43188b6bdff9ea3137f42410.png