[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 89' pen; Danilo 90+3') - 1 Hearts

12th round haymaker...

However, a win's a win.

There's also something very satisfying about the look on a player's face when they know they had the game in the bag only to let it slip away. 

That thousand yard stare of regret on Shankland's face...just sitting on the pitch, staring into that internal abyss of pain. xD

Priceless! 

10 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Add me to the 'not sure why we didn't buy Shankland' camp. He was the best forward on the park yesterday, scored one, created Hearts best other chance and held the ball up really well all match. He's 6'1", 28 years old and scored 24 goals last season in the league we play in. I suspect he'd have cost way less than either Lammers or Dessers too. He's also Hearts captain which suggests he has some presence around the dressing room too. Buying the best Scottish players available has worked well for us in the past. Shankland's experience of our league, ultimately the one we need to win every season, could have made him a real asset. It's all moot, but I'm a t a loss to what our football department saw in some of our summer signings but didn't see in Shankland or indeed Nisbet. 

As for yesterday I thought it was going to be one of those days we've become so used to in recent seasons. That it wasn't might be very important, or might be a blip, time will tell. Hearts tactics were so defensive, it was a grim watch. I don't think Mr Naismith will be in the job for long if that's what his side are displaying every week. We huffed and puffed but didn't look like blowing them down until we did. It was a better performance than many we've seen this season, Clement has improved us, but ultimately it's the same players and there's only so much you can do with them. A fully fit Cantwell and Danilo will make a difference, it was also good to see Dowell make the bench, if Lawrence and him can stay fit then who knows. Even with that we need more goals in our team. If only there was a proven goalscorer in our league we could consider...

How many Shankland’s goals were penalties last season? 

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

The final xG was 4.03 - the highest of the season by quite some way.

Even if we take out the 2 penalties, it's still one of the highest (2.45). 

Since Clement has come in we've seen an increase in our xG and a decrease in our xGA. 

It's progress.

Just thought I'd post this link from an account on twitter as a follow up, still early but with your context it shows we might be at the start of something...

I said at the start of the season we should aim for sub 20 conceded in the league, if we achieve that we'll have a good chance of winning it.

Edited by yuddie