[FT] Rangers 2 (Danilo 11; Cantwell 20) - 1 Sparta Prague

1 hour ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Was it saying something last night about the gap for the Club World Champs closing and that the Prague teams are on 14 points while we were on 7.  Sure I caught something like that.

Sure I read this morning that the rules for Club World Championship are being changed and only coefficient points secured in CL will count. If true, that would effectively rule us out

5 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Sure I read this morning that the rules for Club World Championship are being changed and only coefficient points secured in CL will count. If true, that would effectively rule us out

Saw this and sure we are in position to qualify but the gap is closing.  Last night's result should help a bit though.

UEFA have 12 slots for the Club World Cup which will be hosted by the USA in June 2025. Champions League winners from 2021 to 2024 automatically qualify for the competition, while the other teams are determined by a club ranking over a four-year period.1 day ago

The day after the night before.

A few musings on the game against Sparta.

Started well, took a couple of chances, made another few opportunities for the third but failed to close the deal.

I thought Ryan Jack was back to his metronome best for 65 minutes.

Jack and the rest ran out of puff and legs between the 65th and 70th minutes.

Clement appears to know when and who to utilise in substitutions although I thought he left it a tad late last night?

I voted Ryan Jack man of the match; however, two notable mentions. The first is Jack Butland, he came and took three cross balls at important times. He had one save and what a save, a stinger of a shot was not only parried but pushed away for a corner on the 77th minute. Ross McAusland made a telling contribution, he made two killer defence splitting passes, the first was the ball of the night.

Oh, in case some Gersnetters are not aware, Sellik were pumped six nil by Atletico.

Very chuffed today after our hard fought victory last night.  The players gave their all and some were literally on their knees which contributed partly to Sparta's second half resurgence.  It was a nervous finish to a game that should have been out of sight.  I am so proud of everyone from the manager down.  What a transformation.  We are well on course to staying in the competition.  It was good to see the manager's human side in the post match interview.

On 09/11/2023 at 21:25, SykseyBear said:

Lammers putting in one of the very worst performances we've ever seen from anyone in a Rangers shirt, ever, at any level. This has to be the final straw for him. Enough is enough. 

Unfortunately I had to miss the game. I'm saddened to hear that Lammers again disappointed after his wonder goal. At least we now have Lawrence back  so there is an option for number 10, along with McAusland on the right and Cantwell in his proper position.