Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 7: Attacking-midfield

In his first spell at the club, Barry Ferguson was a fantastic attacking-midfielder, IMO certainly better than Durrant who was fairly inconsistent I felt and never really reached his potential. Ferguson scored 20+ goals a season plus as many assists under Advocaat. Does Ronald De Boer fit this position? if so one of the best i've ever seen, even though he was past his best and didnt stay too long. Gazza was a genius of course, and was a joy to watch on most occasions but had that ill-discipline and often failed to turn it on in Europe where he should have shone, and didnt even stay 3 seasons.

But overall, i just cannot see past him, so my vote goes to Gascoigne. 

(I was tempted to not participate anymore, Greig in midfield? WTF? Cmon guys, just because he couldnt win the RB vote you guys shoe-horn him in somewhere else? How many games did Greig play in midfield, a handful at most? I didnt see him play but he was a full back and a full back only. Lets not bastardise the process by picking guys in positions they were not the best at. Do you think this is just for fun?

7 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

In his first spell at the club, Barry Ferguson was a fantastic attacking-midfielder, IMO certainly better than Durrant who was fairly inconsistent I felt and never really reached his potential. Ferguson scored 20+ goals a season plus as many assists under Advocaat. Does Ronald De Boer fit this position? if so one of the best i've ever seen, even though he was past his best and didnt stay too long. Gazza was a genius of course, and was a joy to watch on most occasions but had that ill-discipline and often failed to turn it on in Europe where he should have shone, and didnt even stay 3 seasons.

In the 4-1-3-2 I would have put De Boer in the middle of the 3 as I thought the two upfront will be real out and out strikers. De Boer could certainly play as a second striker but I always saw him more as that creative one behind the front two, but agree - siblime player. But just doesnt out do Gascoigne for sheer ability and the goals he scored. 

20 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

How many games did Greig play in midfield, a handful at most? I didnt see him play but he was a full back and a full back only

I refer the Honourable Member to Rangers: The Complete Record (Ferrier and McElroy) page 313:

”He (Greig) was originally an inside forward but Rangers moved him back and his great days were as a defensive wing-half, supporting Ronnie McKinnon ….. Indeed the Greig-McKinnon-Jim Baxter half back line …. could be compared with any other in the club’s history.”

JG played just about every position, sometimes in the same game but as the quoted authors say, he was primarily a wing-half. His position in the Gersnet side is perfect for him. Up alongside the CF, back heading the ball away from under the bar, deterring the opposition midfield - that’s JG.

7 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I refer the Honourable Member to Rangers: The Complete Record (Ferrier and McElroy) page 313:

”He (Greig) was originally an inside forward but Rangers moved him back and his great days were as a defensive wing-half, supporting Ronnie McKinnon ….. Indeed the Greig-McKinnon-Jim Baxter half back line …. could be compared with any other in the club’s history.”

JG played just about every position, sometimes in the same game but as the quoted authors say, he was primarily a wing-half. His position in the Gersnet side is perfect for him. Up alongside the CF, back heading the ball away from under the bar, deterring the opposition midfield - that’s JG.

Yes, Greig was primarily a right half. He was also everything else apart from goalkeeper.

It's strange how we forget true Rangers heroes.

Gazza was a real talent but was only at Rangers for five minutes and did nothing in Europe. My pick instead for attacking midfielder is Alex MacDonald, who played over 500 games, scored almost 100 goals and won 12 major trophies, including being instrumental in our ECWC success. He was a tenacious forager but also supplied DJ with so many of his goals. If Greig was the leader of that great team, Doddie was the soul. A wonderful player in every respect.

22 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Thank you sir.

I have been reading your contributions to this thread with some awe and also some sadness. To think it may be true that the best players to have played in each of the positions came from an era where there was not much by way of coaching, terrible playing conditions and equipment, and that we havent managed to better those players as a club within the last 50 years or so? Or is it (hopefully) just your personal preference, nostalgia and sentiment? I would be fairly heart-broken if I felt I would not see a player in the next 20 years or so that could be judged better than those from the NIAR or Advocaat era or indeed those names coming up in this exercise. Do you really believe you have not seen a better player in any of those positions to date than what you grew up with? 

31 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Thank you sir.

I have been reading your contributions to this thread with some awe and also some sadness. To think it may be true that the best players to have played in each of the positions came from an era where there was not much by way of coaching, terrible playing conditions and equipment, and that we havent managed to better those players as a club within the last 50 years or so? Or is it (hopefully) just your personal preference, nostalgia and sentiment? I would be fairly heart-broken if I felt I would not see a player in the next 20 years or so that could be judged better than those from the NIAR or Advocaat era or indeed those names coming up in this exercise. Do you really believe you have not seen a better player in any of those positions to date than what you grew up with? 

When comparing opinions from different eras, it's vitally important not to play the nostalgia card, intentionally of otherwise. The sobering truth is fans like @Scott7 witnessed the great players and teams of the 1960s and every Rangers team since. He is therefore in a privileged and valid position to have an opinion, one that offers comparison over time, whereas someone who only started watching Rangers in (say) 1990 has no basis to make an assessment of players he/she never saw. It's too tempting for the younger fan to simply assume that those players of an earlier generation had to be inherently inferior to those of his personal experience - while having little or no basis for that assumption. The upshot is always that polls like this will always be skewed towards more recent experience, even though that will inevitably mean choosing from a more limited sample and excluding many great/better players.

Looking at the teams chosen so far, Gersnet is either a home for geriatrics or some people are selecting on the basis of unseen reputation alone. Personally, it's obvious to me that all members under the age of 60 should be barred from voting. 😉

Edited by Bill