[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 76) - 0 Aberdeen

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Ten mins of Highlights (SPFL) with no irritating babble from reporters and co-commentators ...

Every broadcast should have a commentator-free option.

33 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

bbc used to do this for major vents. You could get the tv commentary, the radio commentary, crowd sound only (the best) or mute.

Can you remember a long time ago when listening to the football on the wireless they divided the pitch into I think it was six zones and you used your imagination to know were the ball was or am I still a bit diddly with the anesthetic 

58 minutes ago, compo said:

Can you remember a long time ago when listening to the football on the wireless they divided the pitch into I think it was six zones and you used your imagination to know were the ball was or am I still a bit diddly with the anesthetic 

No, you’re right but it was before my time and maybe yours too, probably pre-war.

My earliest memories are Raymond “up go he heads” Glendenning and Peter “c’mon the Rangers” Thomson. They nor their successors needed zones. They just told you what was happening and whereabout. Alistair Alexander and David Begg were the last proper commentators.

2 hours ago, compo said:

I sent you a message last Thursday! check it out.

21 hours ago, Scott7 said:

No, you’re right but it was before my time and maybe yours too, probably pre-war.

My earliest memories are Raymond “up go he heads” Glendenning and Peter “c’mon the Rangers” Thomson. They nor their successors needed zones. They just told you what was happening and whereabout. Alistair Alexander and David Begg were the last proper commentators.

Bob Crampsey told a story -true, apparently- about a football commentary during WW2.

I don't suppose that you heard the match coverage, although old @compomay have, unless he was serving out East with the Pioneer Corps, or somesuch. 

Anyway, the BBC was scheduled to provide live radio coverage of a game at Tynecastle.  It may have been only of the second half, rather than the full match. No matter.

Unfortunately a fog descended upon Gorgie, a pea souper, and with no prospect of it clearing, the match was postponed. 

At this point, the War Office contacted the BBC, fearful that the Lufwaffe, realising that the East coast was fog bound, would cancel any planned bombing raids, which, of course, would be abortive, and wasteful, in the prevailing conditions. 

It was agreed that the BBC, and its commentary team, would broadcast improvised coverage of a non-existent match, which, commendably, they did. 

Oh extempore, oh mores, as they said in the Pilton, when the story came to light. 

(The Hearts won 2-0, i I r c.)

24 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Oh extempore, oh mores, as they said in the Pilton, when the story came to light

I doubt that. Greek rather than Latin was spoken in the Pilton in my day. At least that’s what it sounded like.

I heard Bob Crampsey talk on radio about the ghost commentary. The match was at Easter Road. Other broadcasters doubted the Mount Florida sage but Alex Cameron confirmed it as true. The valiant commentator thwarting the Luftwaffe was Rex Kingsley.