The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

My reference to hipsters was more about the terminology than the actual tactics.

I can remember there being link-up style strikers from my youth (early-mid 80s).

Dessers took a while to get going, he's looking good now. Others never got going and left, or are loaned. Who knows what will happen to Lammers, or Danilo for that matter.

Silva needs his time too, you see that he needs players around him that think as quickly as he does. Which is also a problem that needs to be considered. Unless you put "aligned" people out there, folk like Silva, Lammers, or Cantwell may either be brilliant or abysmal, as their fellow players are not on the same wave-lengths. This is just a general remark, I don't want to compare either guy's "qualities".

Same with Shankland. He's on fire right now, scores from all angles. Maybe he can carry this to us, should  we sign him, maybe not. As per usual, we won't know until we try. I'd hate to see our in-form striker (no matter whom) get benched to trial any newcomer. I still hope to see the 9 and the 10 playing alongside each other again in a two-striker attack though. Likewise, I am confident that we might shift Dessers into a wider (if not much) role next to a central striker. Sima was playing like that, and Roofe. No matter what, we need people up there to score goals. Sima's done that, now Dessers does. We need two or three consistent scorers though.

Cortes is playing across the front-line, going by his stats - similar to Cantwell and Lammers. He's been most lethal for the Colombia u20s, playing mostly on the right. I was about to write that he's sure a "project player" by his age, but remembered that e.g. quite a number of the RB Leipzig or Borussia Dortmund players are not much older than him and doing well.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

My reference to hipsters was more about the terminology than the actual tactics.

I can remember there being link-up style strikers from my youth (early-mid 80s).

Terminology has changed because it needs to account for more specific roles. 

They're not pulling new names out of their arses just for the sake of it.

38 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Also the great Hungarian Hidegkuti (sp)in the Puskas team.

Forgot about Hungary. (How could I?) Revie or his manager McDowall must have got the idea from them. Interestingly, one of Revie’s forward partners was Bobby Johnsone, the hibbee. An inside right, he must have played more as a centre forward with City because he scored quite a lot of goals. He reverted to goal maker when he came back to Hibs opening the gates for Joe Baker.