Big Jock Knew...

Guest Nervous Bear

i am honestly disgusted with any rangers fans who sing this. using paedophiliac abuse as any excuse for one upmanship is the lowest of the low. and anyone who thinks jumping about singing this is making any kind of political point is grandly deluding themselves. its disgraceful.

Guest Nervous Bear
You obviously could be right Cammy - but is it really OUR responsibility to highlight it or should it be the responsibility of those abused and their families ?

It isn't as clean cut as any of us wish to believe - but the one thing I am quite sure of is that Rangers fans are using it as a points scoring exercise and that leaves a bad taste in this bear's mouth.

Excellent point Craig. Historically, the difference between Rangers and Celtic fans has been that the Celtic fans whinge on about the world being against them. We have remained aloof from this and have taken pride in our club and it's achievements. To an extent we have not worried what the rest of the world does or thinks about us. To get involved in the grimey inner workings at the Piggery drags us down to their level, we are better than that. Celtic is an anti-culture, more defined by what they stand against, rather than what they stand for. We do not want any part of that Malaise. We stand for pride in our team and it's history, but we look to the future and welcome all regardless of race or religion to our club as fans and players.

READY.

I don't see why we're suddenly the moral police and don't think its doing us any favours tbh. I've said for a while that I think this will make us look bad in the media and the public eye and I think that's starting to happen. Its petty point-scoring as far as I'm concerned and while we're not singing about child abuse itself, its definitely in the same ballpark.

But hey, each to their own and I know that opinion will label me as a handwringer among most of our support.

But Rangers fans aren't singing about child abuse, they aren't condoning child abuse, they aren't even mentioning child abuse. Those who chose to sing it, are simply singing 'Big Jock Knew'. As far as I am aware, Jock Stein has never abused a kid....

'Who shagged all the boys on the other hand'.....

Cammy F

This chant does seem to be losing its integrity. Mainly due to the way in which the rangers fans are using it as a petty slogan.

On route to Barcelona via dublin i get a "big jock knew" in my ear to let me know I'm not the only gers fan, but why big jock knew? "we are the people" awesome. "follow follow" thats what i was doing and will do till the day i die. but "big jock knew"? its just something that is used for point scoring as other people have stated.

Its disappointing that many bears would rather sing this than Gers songs.

So as not to be misunderstood, I am not faulting the sentiments of the campaign, but the manner in which it is being hi-jacked by some vocal louts in our support.

You obviously could be right Cammy - but is it really OUR responsibility to highlight it or should it be the responsibility of those abused and their families ?

It isn't as clean cut as any of us wish to believe - but the one thing I am quite sure of is that Rangers fans are using it as a points scoring exercise and that leaves a bad taste in this bear's mouth.

Agree fully Craig if anyone should be shouting, it should be the abused as they are the only ones who can do anything about it. I find this a horrible way to score points and should be dropped.

This chant does seem to be losing its integrity. Mainly due to the way in which the rangers fans are using it as a petty slogan.

On route to Barcelona via dublin i get a "big jock knew" in my ear to let me know I'm not the only gers fan, but why big jock knew? "we are the people" awesome. "follow follow" thats what i was doing and will do till the day i die. but "big jock knew"? its just something that is used for point scoring as other people have stated.

Its disappointing that many bears would rather sing this than Gers songs.

So as not to be misunderstood, I am not faulting the sentiments of the campaign, but the manner in which it is being hi-jacked by some vocal louts in our support.

You hit on the nail on the head that some people hate Celtic more than they support rangers.

There are 2 sets of people mentioning this IMO.

There are neds who are just trying to score points because the guy next to him sings it and they believe its an anti-celtic song and a pro-rangers song.

Then there are others who want to issue raised and like Cammy, wont sing it but dont find it offending.

Until a survey of those effected by it was done then everything is based on asumptions whether its is offensive or not. But there is no shame in mentioning the issue. Walking round the streets steaming out of your head singing it is a shame but only to the person doing the singing as he then looks a clown.