Winter Training Camp | [FT] Rangers 2 - 2 Copenhagen

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think there must be a point when you get to a certain level of fitness where muscles are more easily damaged.

Some of the players 30+ years ago got booted all over the pitch but barely missed a game, whereas now the slightest knock can have someone out for weeks.  

They certainly didn't have the same muscle tone the players nowadays do but maybe that's why they were more resilient.  

Well, If you train no contact, tippy tappy fitba...sure.

In American football we call it 'hittin shape'.

You run two a days in the summer beatin the ever lovin shit out of each other for two months.

Your body acclimates to the violence. It literally toughens.

By the time you start the season you are ready to tackle a tractor.

Did guys get hurt? Yes...but the vast majority built up.

Back in the day when they used to actually play soccer, like men, this was the same. 

Tackling was actually tackling, you fought for possession, it was a man's game, not some no touch prancing theater and VAR.

Now if a guy shows his studs to the sun or has a beer during Christmas it's the end of the world.

Sanitized, safe, lame.

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Did you ever watch John McDonald play for us? He wasn't nicknamed "submarine" for nothing.....

No, I was consumed with the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Dorsett back in those days. :D 

But looking him up he played during an era where they actually played the game. 

Is this the man?

10 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Tackling was actually tackling, you fought for possession, it was a man's game, not some no touch prancing theater and VAR.

Like building an immunity.  I agree, to an extent.  The human body is an amazing thing ....before you hit your mid 30s.  

12 hours ago, CammyF said:

Did you ever watch John McDonald play for us? He wasn't nicknamed "submarine" for nothing.....

His nickname was 'Polaris' to be precise. Which not only dates me but also the UK's nuclear deterrent programme too.