Steven Davis announces retirement

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Steve Davis was entitled to act similarly to Naismith and Whittaker.

When he departed the club for Southampton, he insisted upon Rangers receiving a fee.

A proper professional, a proper Ranger.

This is nonsense , it was big hawns Charles Green who threatened to with hold his registration unless we got some money.

Sandy Jardine who was a real Rangers man said they all let us down including Davis.

Don't reply with any PR bullshit.

18 minutes ago, locked ward said:

This is nonsense , it was big hawns Charles Green who threatened to with hold his registration unless we got some money.

Sandy Jardine who was a real Rangers man said they all let us down including Davis.

Obviously, I have a false memory.

Thank you for the provision of truth.  I admit I am not comfortable crediting 'Big Hawns' for ensuring the club received a fee. When the Normandy stud farm owner was at the club, I determined to ignore him. Now, he has departed I do not want him intruding upon my warm memories.

I must steel myself against possible club PR penetration but, I suspect my admiration of Steve will endure.

1 hour ago, locked ward said:

Either Sandy Jardine was right or they were all entitled to put their own careers first. Either way, I don't like this idea of pretending one was somehow less guilty or more at fault. They all walked. The only hero in my books was Lee Wallace.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

My favourite player of the 21st century. Did all his talking on the pitch, a really effective midfielder and someone who comes across as a decent sort too. His retirement is an end of an era in some ways. He was the last player still at the club who was signed by Walter Smith, also the last player who played before our 2012 crash. One of a small group of Rangers players to have played in 2 European finals. Everyone knew this was almost certainly going to be the outcome, an ACL injury at any age is a big injury for a player, but at his vintage a comeback seemed unlikely. His last act at the club was to introduce young Northern Irishman Ross McCausland to the first team while caretaker for a couple of matches before Clement took over. McCausland hasn't lost his place since. There's something fitting about that. 

Steve Davis took the team for that game against St Mirren in Paisley and started young Zak Lovelace. He was doing very well before sustaining a long term injury before half time. Davis substituted Lovelace for another youngster, Ross McCausland.

I do not know his plans or intentions going forward in the game but, I hope the club can persuade him to join the coaching staff. A voice for youth is necessary going forward in Euro competition.