[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 60' pen) - 2 Motherwell

1 minute ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I'm sure a few of the refs brought in were also not told the real story why they were here..

Presumably because they pursue false idolatry and require a middle man in a frock to communicate with God.  🤣

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

the refs brought in were also not told the real story why they were here..

If I remember correctly,  the cretin Reagan was pretty economic with the actualite, and did not explain to the incoming officials that they were, basically, scabbing. 

On 02/03/2024 at 18:37, CammyF said:

So when did penalties not count as goals? Do we take McCoists many penalties away from him when discussing his phenomenal goalscoring record? 

Off course we don't- it's not a half-truth, he'll end up out top scorer. How many has he scored this season? 

Oh, and if either of our left backs were half as good as Tav, we'd be a far better team. 

Lame arguments. A defender primarily needs to defend. Everything else is a bonus. Tav has accumulated lots of bonuses over his time, no doubt about that. On Saturday, again, he left his defending slot time and again, at times appearing in a central attacking slot, Sterling being elsewhere and the right wing/side being empty. His goal stats would be far more wing-back-like without his penalties. They would probably - adding the assists - be more like that of an average right-winger. He's no doubt having a good season, probably his best after 55 and post-promotion. That's two in how many seasons? I try to stay realistic with every player, so I do not forget those umpteen attempted crosses that don't go past the first defender, the free-kicks blasted high and wide time and again, as almost no-one else bar him is allowed to take free-kicks. He has a knack of producing one or two perfect crosses every other game that end up as assists of others, even if the rest of his performance is mediocre compared to his own standards. 

As for the stats ... 21 goals to his name this season, 14 were penalties, 3 free-kicks, the rest shots and one header. Had Dessers taken all penalties and scored as much, he'd be at (give-or-take) 30 goals, and we'd be raving over him, with no thoughts given on Shankland et al ...

4 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Lame arguments. A defender primarily needs to defend. Everything else is a bonus. Tav has accumulated lots of bonuses over his time, no doubt about that. On Saturday, again, he left his defending slot time and again, at times appearing in a central attacking slot, Sterling being elsewhere and the right wing/side being empty. His goal stats would be far more wing-back-like without his penalties. They would probably - adding the assists - be more like that of an average right-winger. He's no doubt having a good season, probably his best after 55 and post-promotion. That's two in how many seasons? I try to stay realistic with every player, so I do not forget those umpteen attempted crosses that don't go past the first defender, the free-kicks blasted high and wide time and again, as almost no-one else bar him is allowed to take free-kicks. He has a knack of producing one or two perfect crosses every other game that end up as assists of others, even if the rest of his performance is mediocre compared to his own standards. 

As for the stats ... 21 goals to his name this season, 14 were penalties, 3 free-kicks, the rest shots and one header. Had Dessers taken all penalties and scored as much, he'd be at (give-or-take) 30 goals, and we'd be raving over him, with no thoughts given on Shankland et al ...

Taking Saturdays game first - Rousseau post in the MOTM thread that statistically Tav was our best player. I didn't think he was and voted Dio. Rousseau used these stats to show why he voted Yimaz as MOTM. I thought Yilmaz was very poor in 1st half, better in 2nd half and was posted missing for Motherwell 1st goal. Rousseau stats showed Yilmaz was statistically our joint 2nd best player along with Dio. 

As for penalties, up until yesterday Shankland took Hearts penalties - are we subtracting all his pens from his goalscoring record? How many seasons (top flight) or otherwise has Shankland outscored Tav?

Tavernier is up there with the elite of Europe for goals and assists both domestically and in Europa League. He has had a good season this season, and I'd argue he has been our most consistent performer over a 5 year period. He is hardly ever injured (or suspended) and is hugely influential on and off the pitch (if you listen to various team-mates and managers (past and present).

Right back has been one position that no manager, including Gerrard, Clement and Gio (managers who have won trophies with us and taken us to the business end of Europe, including a final) has even considered "upgrading". Doesn't take a genius to work out why.

On the run to Europa League Ginal, Tav scored in every knockout round including home and away v Dortmund. 

The saying "you don't realise what you had until its gone' will be more true for Tav than it has been for the vast majority / any player / manager we've had since 2013.  

11 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Thankfully you posted that mate. Here's what I was told after the Killie game by certain poster 😀

"Bobby Madden is now the bearer of truth? Give me strength."

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Like a dug wi' a bone.

🙄

The purpose of continual repetition is to reassure a dubious proposition.