Cousin Says Sorry Over Bevvy Row

Dec 11 2007 By Keith Jackson

RANGERS striker Daniel Cousin has apologised to his team-mates for branding them "out-of-shape bevvy merchants".

Then he vowed to make it up to them by firing them into the last 16 of the Champions League.

Cousin was mortified yesterday when comments attributed to him in an interview with a French newspaper ahead of the do-or-die Group E showdown with Lyon surfaced in Scotland.

Cousin was quoted as criticising his Ibrox colleagues for drinking too much beer and gorging on fast food.

But the former Lens hitman met boss Walter Smith at Murray Park yesterday to insist his words had been lost in translation.

Record Sport understands Cousin asked teammate Amdy Faye to translate for him at the meeting as he explained himself to Smith.

And Cousin then spoke exclusively to Record Sport to make a public apology to team-mates and supporters - before promising to deliver them to the promised land of the knock-out stage by dumping his countrymen.

Cousin - speaking through agent Willie McKay - said: "If anyone is upset about my comments then I would like to say sorry to them. I did not mean to cause offence.

"I was asked to explain the cultural differences between France and Scotland. Who am I to judge my team-mates or be critical of them?

"I have explained all this to the manager because I feel my words have been taken out of context and made to look like criticism.

"That was not my intention. All I can say is that the boys have been great to me since I joined the club and the fans have given me fantastic support.

"If anyone feels let down by these comments then I will repay them the best way I know how - by scoring the goals against Lyon which take us to the last 16 of the Champions League.

"It is my dream to give the club a night to remember."

Cousin was also reported to have criticised the standard of the Scottish game and hinted that he is already seeking a move to England's top flight - just three months into his Rangers career.

While it is possible that both player and club will part company at the end of the season, Cousin insisted: "Believe me, I am happy in Scotland.

"I am with a great club and enjoying our European adventure.

"My only concern is to make sure this adventure continues and to do that I will have to play my part and help the team get the result we need against Lyon."

Rangers need just a point to join rivals Celtic in the knock-out stage.

With Jean-Claude Darcheville ruled out, Cousin - who netted in a 3-0 away win over the French champions earlier in the campaign - is again in line to lead the Rangers attack.

Share this article

this is how i see it (and the way i reacted to the headline without seeing the full story)....

Smith has been playing 1 up top in europe. Despite contrasting opinions within the support i see this the way we are going to play 2moro. Due to the injuries we're currently suffering from, there is only one logical man to play in that role, who has played effectively there before on the european stage - Cousin.

This story increases the media hype on this "I dont want to be here" story and is an extremely negative one i believe aimed at turning the bears against cousin. Imagine he misses a good chance on wed now and most bears think he doesnt want to be here? Instead of praising the opportunity created and supporting him and urging him to keep going I can see some fans beginning to moan/telling him to leave now/not worthy of the jersey etc all very negative.

Pick on the guy who is our main attacking threat trying to turn the fans against him before possibly the biggest game of the season so far? when he cant speak the language properly to defend himself? Seems to me the mhedia have sunk to a new low...

But the former Lens hitman met boss Walter Smith at Murray Park yesterday to insist his words had been lost in translation.

Well done to all of you who had "lost in translation" down as the explanation for this one. I refer you back to my post form a few weeks ago :) Its unfolding like a textbook case of unhappy foreigner trying to win a move away from the club.

So, does this mean there's still a problem with the infamous "monster munch" culture within our squad? I still don't understand this really. I'm not a professional athlete (no shit I hear you cry), but even I know that when doing any sort of semi-serious training, its a big benefit to you if you watch what you eat and drink and train a bit more "clever".

Given we're talking about pro footballers who are no doubt being given lots of advice by the club on similar subjects, is it acceptable for us to still have this unprofessional approach to our game? I know that it appears to be a Scottish problem and not just a Gers problem, but why does it still exist?

Confused.

Well done to all of you who had "lost in translation" down as the explanation for this one. I refer you back to my post form a few weeks ago :) Its unfolding like a textbook case of unhappy foreigner trying to win a move away from the club.

So, does this mean there's still a problem with the infamous "monster munch" culture within our squad? I still don't understand this really. I'm not a professional athlete (no shit I hear you cry), but even I know that when doing any sort of semi-serious training, its a big benefit to you if you watch what you eat and drink and train a bit more "clever".

Given we're talking about pro footballers who are no doubt being given lots of advice by the club on similar subjects, is it acceptable for us to still have this unprofessional approach to our game? I know that it appears to be a Scottish problem and not just a Gers problem, but why does it still exist?

Confused.

If you eat and drink sensibly most of the time, train bloody hard, you can surely eat and drink what you want. If you want to be a total athlete you have to be really strict which I'd say most Brits are not. It's the British culture and the way you are brought up I think. Look at the likes of wayne rooney, he probably eats what he likes but won't eat crap all the time, trains hard and does OK :)

I'd say the UK has probably the worst diet in Europe and with so many fast food outlets it must be easy to go that way. Foreigners coming over here have probably never seen this before from football players or athletes.

If you want to be a machine or change peoples way of life it would be hard to do and takes a certain mentality to do that IMO.

Also people are different and react differently to foods, I read about Owen Coyle recently who lives/lived on a diet of 90% junk food and he didn't/doesn't put any weight on ever, he trained hard and he done OK for himself.

Definitely. With the running I'm doing just now I've noticed I could pretty much eat and drink whatever I want and I won't put on any weight. But I still notice a difference in terms of my fitness and how hard certain sessions become. Conversely, watching what I eat means I do feel a difference in how I feel in general but also in training.

Likewise, I bet we've all got one of those annoyingly skinny friends who can eat & drink whatever the hell they like and not put on any weight at all. Although obviously its having some effect on their body over the longer term I guess.

I just find it interesting as I'm reading quite a lot about the subject just now and there's obviously a cultural difference in the UK which a few pros have mentioned over the last while, but nothing's really changed. So I was wondering if this is because its a lost cause in Scotland as nothing will change? I then find it strange that with the money footballers are getting paid, that clubs aren't more strict with them.

Its kind of going off-topic, sorry.

I don't think many BEARS will give a feck how many beers and pizzas the players consume, especially after we pump the frogs and head to the 'promise land' of the last sixteen. :cheers:

In all seriousness though, i think it's the RANGERS hating press(and there's probably lots of them) trying to throw a spanner in the works. Well i say F**K THEM! I for one won't be jumping on their bandwaggon and getting on the back of any player, whether he wants away or not.

C'MON THE BEARS. 3-2. :cheers: