New format for Champions League post-2024: Everything you need to know

Why isn’t it for champions only no second or third or fourth but proper champions the rest can go into the smaller competitions.

55 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Any VL's on the forum give us an exec summary?

TLDR

I think they're priming it to help out the big leagues more and to push smaller nations further into the sidelines.  Same old shite.

One keeps hoping the bubble will burst but there's no indication it'll happen anytime soon.  

I don't think the CL will be much of a consideration for the Scottish champions in the near future.  

Initially sceptical, I’m coming round to the idea. While the full 36 team league standings format is a bit mental, the exciting bit is getting to play 8 different opponents once, not just 3 opponents twice. Clearly the luck of the draw is important as you could end up playing Real Madrid & Bayern Munich while a similar ranked team plays Porto & PSV and all points gained are in one table but to qualify for knockout stages you have to finish ahead of only 8 teams. I would imagine we would be seeded in pot 3 so we play 2 pot 3 teams and 2 pot 4 teams, so half our games are against similar standard teams, and if you pick up enough points from those games that should be enough to get a juicy KO game for plenty of Euros in February. 

15 hours ago, compo said:

Why isn’t it for champions only no second or third or fourth but proper champions the rest can go into the smaller competitions.

I have often asked this question. It's not a champion's league.

It's a champion and top contender league. 

Everything we know is a lie. 

Compo sir, thank you for cutting it to the marrow.

May endless malt liquor and chicken wings await you in Valhalla. 

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

I have often asked this question. It's not a champion's league.

It's a champion and top contender league.

It has been for 33 years now, if the UEFA cup was brought back, it would be the top competition.

I think it would make it a lesser competition. It would be the same few teams every year. 

Unless they made it a pure knock-out to throw in some danger, but the big clubs won't take that risk.