I was watching Hemdani's reading of the game last night, I think if big Davie Weir calls it a day (His pace being a problem) then I would suggest moving Hemdani into the centre of defence, I feel Cueller and Hemdani would be formidable together and pacey centre forwards wouldn't threaten these two.

This would of course allow Thomson to be the deeper holding defensive midfielder which could open up Charlie Adam, Thomas Buffel or even Alan Gow's chances to join Fergie in the centre of midfield perhaps.

I do feel sorry for Darcheville, the ball did bobble as he slid in to finish it off, I think we all know if that went in the game would've finished 1-1. The fans knew this too as they applauded him off the park despite his red card, let's face it, if Cousin got sent off there would've been fans screaming murder at him.

UEFA Cup: This isn't just a walk in the park for us, there are teams such as Marseilles, Werder Bremen and let's not forget Bolton, Everton and Tottenham a possibility.

I said to the lads before the game yesterday, Lyon are hurting and with us just needing a draw to go through it might be a bad thing as we may be more defensive than usual while Lyon will be giving 110%. We were all worried about Junihno's free kicks of which one rattled our cross bar but in Benzema or whatever he's called, Lyon have a fantastic footballer on their hands.

Agree i would love to see Hemdani given a chance at the back again. Cuellor wins most ball in the air and Hemdani as a sort of sweeper. At set pieces against us Cuellor and McCulloch could mark the danger men with Hemdani taking the 3rd choice player.

The best example of our central midfield partnership that I can recall in recent times was when we had Stuart McCall and Gazza. Stuart McCall had a fantastic engine and would run all day long - breaking up play, making tackles, short passes and was box to box.

That allowed Gazza to.... well, be Gazza. He knew he could break forward as McCall would cover him.

Very effective and also made our central midfield pair difficult to defend against as they both would make forward runs but mix it up.

I know we are unlikely to get someone of Gazza's quality again (not many teams could) but someone with his creativity whilst having someone like Kevin Thomson doing the McCall role would be something I would like to see.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Thomas Buffel being brought in beside Thomson and giving Ferguson a rest. However, this bear just cannot be convinced that Buffel would be a success and would have the same industry as Gazza had. Plus Buffel is known to be posted missing, something Gazza wasn't. But we need to try SOMETHING to find some creativity.

I am a fan of Fergie's but if he is to be a holding midfielder then he definitely has to make improvements in the defensive aspects. For a holding midfielder he is one of, if not the, worst I have seen at marking his player and tracking back. Far too often for me he drifts towards the ball which very often leaves an unmarked player - that is elementary stuff, for a defender but also a holding midfielder.

Agreed on most Craig except Id give Buffel his chance or even Young Stevie Lennon!!

Thomson for me, could go on and be like Stuart McCall and as pete says it is Ferguson who upsets the set out of the team so Id be happy to see him sit out while we try the 4-4-2 (probably in a diamond) with McCulloch at one side giving us a physical strong pressance and getting forward, with a winger (preferably Nacho on the Right due to Beasley being out) and 2 strikers (JCD and Naismith/Boyd). Id give that a run.

Hurlock - Hemdani to centre half - good shout mate!! Would like to see that as he can play there and he would be able to build the play from the back.

Here are some line up's id like to see:

__________________McGregor_________________

Hutton________Weir_________Cuellar______Smith

Novo_______Hemdani_____Ferguson_____McCulloch

_____________Buffel_____Darcheville____________

Or

Hutton________Weir_________Cuellar______Smith

Novo______________Hemdani__________McCulloch

___________________Buffel____________________

_____________Boyd________Darcheville__________

The same as ^ but with Hemdani in for Weir and Thomson in for Hemdani

Or

__________________McGregor__________________

Hutton_______Weir____________Cuellar______Smith

Novo________Hemdani_____Thomson______Beasley

_______________Buffel______Darcheville__________

I'd love to see these:

Hutton________Weir/Other_________Cuellar______Smith

Novo_______Thomson_____Ferguson/Other_____McCulloch

_____________Boyd_____Darcheville____________

Naismith_______Thomson_____Ferguson/Other_____Beasley

_____________Boyd_____McCulloch____________

McCulloch/Novo_______Thomson_____Ferguson/Other_____Gow

_____________Naismith_____Boyd____________

:cheers:

Another thing I was worried about last night was the lack of movement in the first half, countless long balls aimed at McCulloch and Cousin and nobody running ahead of them for the flicks ons. There was a moment in the first half that disgusted me and everyone in the Chieftain pub, there was a high ball in the centre circle, I think Fergie was the one who went up to challenge it while 7 Gers white shirts stood almost bunched up around the centre circle, they seemed static.

I love Alan Hutton to bits but he got caught standing a few times and the left-wing back got behind him. He needs to stay switched on defensively. I wonder if right midfield would suit him better with Whittaker behind him??

Part of the problem though Frankie is that 3 in to 2 won't go (actual numbers not accurate). Thomson is improving all the time and I'd like to see him in there as our holding midfielder. In a traditional 4-4-2, that's leaving room for a more attacking midfielder alongside him. But that doesn't seem to be Fergie going on his performances this season. He still gets pulled back and becomes far too defensive, to the point where at times with him, Hemdani and Thomson in there, its just a (very negative) shambles.

But WS won't drop Fergie. So do we then look at 4-5-1 with an attacking midfielder? I still think that we should be playing a straight 4-4-2 in the SPL and give a forward pairing some time to gel together.

You're right, we're still missing a really creative, box-to-box, link-up midfielder. Why hasn't Gow been given a chance? What about Buffel? Burke on the right surely deserves at least a chance to see if he can turn his Ibrox career around? Is Boyd finished here?

Its almost like WS has his preferred players who he'd rather play week in, week out, regardless of how they're actually playing rather than giving others a chance. I just think its a bit narrow-minded and smacks of short-termism which is a shame when you look at some of the players we have signed who just aren't playing. But then maybe DM has told WS that the SPL is the priority this season and he's to grind it out no matter what. I do think though that WS's blind loyalty to some players and the overly-defensive system has already cost us points in the league and will continue to do so.

I do agree with your other sentiment, progress has been made since last year, but its frustrating to see some of the same old baffling decisions being made.

Part of the problem though Frankie is that 3 in to 2 won't go (actual numbers not accurate). Thomson is improving all the time and I'd like to see him in there as our holding midfielder. In a traditional 4-4-2, that's leaving room for a more attacking midfielder alongside him. But that doesn't seem to be Fergie going on his performances this season. He still gets pulled back and becomes far too defensive, to the point where at times with him, Hemdani and Thomson in there, its just a (very negative) shambles.

But WS won't drop Fergie. So do we then look at 4-5-1 with an attacking midfielder? I still think that we should be playing a straight 4-4-2 in the SPL and give a forward pairing some time to gel together.

You're right, we're still missing a really creative, box-to-box, link-up midfielder. Why hasn't Gow been given a chance? What about Buffel? Burke on the right surely deserves at least a chance to see if he can turn his Ibrox career around? Is Boyd finished here?

Its almost like WS has his preferred players who he'd rather play week in, week out, regardless of how they're actually playing rather than giving others a chance. I just think its a bit narrow-minded and smacks of short-termism which is a shame when you look at some of the players we have signed who just aren't playing. But then maybe DM has told WS that the SPL is the priority this season and he's to grind it out no matter what. I do think though that WS's blind loyalty to some players and the overly-defensive system has already cost us points in the league and will continue to do so.

I do agree with your other sentiment, progress has been made since last year, but its frustrating to see some of the same old baffling decisions being made.

Mike his loyalty to certain players have not only cost us points this term but it in fact cost us 10 in a row. I never wanted Smith back for that very reason.

If not moving Whittaker to right-back and Hutton to right midfield then what about:

________________________McGregor______________________

_________Cueller_________Hemdani_________Weir___________

Hutton_______Ferguson__________Thomson_________Whittaker

_________________________Buffel________________________

________________Novo_____________Darcheville/Boyd_______

I think Charlie Adam would run Whittaker close for the left side because of his goals ratio. Kirk Broadfoot should be given a chance soon too.

Dont mind that too much Hurlock but the wide midfield roles should always be natural wingers or midfielders IMO. Hutton could certainly go forward as he is an exception due to his attack minded play and skill but Whittaker at LM? - No thanks. YOu could put Beasley in there though and it would look better

Dont mind that too much Hurlock but the wide midfield roles should always be natural wingers or midfielders IMO. Hutton could certainly go forward as he is an exception due to his attack minded play and skill but Whittaker at LM? - No thanks. YOu could put Beasley in there though and it would look better

shame he is out for the season tho m8 :devil: