[Match Postponed] Dundee v Rangers

2 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Unless Yilmaz is injured or suspended, I wouldn't have Barasic anywhere near my starting XI for the rest of the season. He just doesn't have the stomach for the fight IMO.

Precisely. Barisic has shown time and again how fragile his attitude can be. He has occasionally been an asset but inevitably then sinks into some slough of despond again. I suspect this weakness of character is exactly why the manager has demoted him to the bench. At least Yilmaz shows signs of being a fighter, as I think PC recently described him.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Wright and Matondo aren't good enough, it's as simple as that.  They're both quick and can beat a man but that's about it.

Clement must know this.

That's a fair comment that could equally be applied almost everywhere in the first team squad but we don't have the finances to fix every weakness. If we did, we'd already have the title wrapped up and be in the business end of the CL. Philippe Clement will only be able to shore up the worst of it.

36 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I agree.  I would keep Wright but not Matondo for his injury record and the money he is on.

And speaking of tomorrow, I'd throw Wright in there again. Sometimes people need quality around them to reach their own next level. We hardly played Ridvan for any longer spell and soon people started to bemoan his lack of quality, height, you name it. Now, having get a hatful of games under his belt, no-one wants Borna back. I am not saying that Wright is another Ridvan, but play him with the quality people we field now, and he may very well deliver more than Lammers, or Matondo. He was working his socks off and had some really good moments while he was on, so send him out there at Dens and see what happens. IMHO, we could easily spare us one CM/DM over there and put one more attacker on and lay the game to rest early on. We have to manage our squad for the next few weeks, given all the injuries, so utilize it according to the opposition.

49 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

And speaking of tomorrow, I'd throw Wright in there again. Sometimes people need quality around them to reach their own next level. We hardly played Ridvan for any longer spell and soon people started to bemoan his lack of quality, height, you name it. Now, having get a hatful of games under his belt, no-one wants Borna back. I am not saying that Wright is another Ridvan, but play him with the quality people we field now, and he may very well deliver more than Lammers, or Matondo. He was working his socks off and had some really good moments while he was on, so send him out there at Dens and see what happens. IMHO, we could easily spare us one CM/DM over there and put one more attacker on and lay the game to rest early on. We have to manage our squad for the next few weeks, given all the injuries, so utilize it according to the opposition.

Common sense.  Well said.

I'd like to see Barasic play tomorrow as Ridvan look absolutely shattered on Thursday. So much so, he attempted a long throw into the box and it landed at his feet.

He also look mentally drained - the short corner routine was comical and he continually gave the ball away.

Telling that the guy who sits next to me who is a big fan of Ridvan said at half-time "if Barasic had put in that performance, he'd have been crucified".

Ridvan isn't the only one looking mentally and physically drained - Goldson, Lawrence, Dio, Lundstram, Dessers, to name a few all look like they could do with a rest / break.

The players coming back from injury (Matando, Cantwell, Roofe and Raskin) have shown in the little playing time they have had that they are short of minutes.

Whilst the team requires wholesale changes, I'm certain PC will ask the same tired, injured players to go again for 90 more minutes before the international break.

He is in a catch 22 situation tomorrow. Dropping points playing tired players and drop points he'll receive criticism. Make wholesale changes and drop points, he'll receive criticism.

Tomorrow is the most important game of the season in my humble opinion and I don't envy PC his job of getting the ballance right with his team selection.

Basically tomorrow is a case of win and win at all / any cost and hope that we get more players back after the international break

Long winded way of saying I think that the team needs freshened up but think PC will ask the tired players to go again one more time. 

No right or wrong answer but our season might rest on tomorrow's game. 

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

I'd like to see Barasic play tomorrow as Ridvan look absolutely shattered on Thursday. So much so, he attempted a long throw into the box and it landed at his feet.

If Ridvan had dropped 2 acid and wore a dress for the match, I'd still have him playing before Barisic.

22 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

If Ridvan had dropped 2 acid and wore a dress for the match, I'd still have him playing before Barisic.

That's you opinion, and you're entitled to it. 

It does however remind me of a story Jim Denny told. When he was a sub in an old firm game he was told to go and warm up. He did but went and warmed up at the Celtic end. When he returned to the bench he was asked why. He simply said, I get less abuse off them. 

Barasic isn't anywhere near as bad as some Rangers fans attempt to make him out, and he isn't near as good as others make him out.

In fact, him and Ridvan are much of a muchness. However, I do believe the stats will show Barasic offers more assists and in my opinion, he's our only full back that can take a decent / dangerous corner. 

His time at Rangers is coming to an end, hopefully Ridvan's is as well. 

23 minutes ago, CammyF said:

That's you opinion, and you're entitled to it. 

It does however remind me of a story Jim Denny told. When he was a sub in an old firm game he was told to go and warm up. He did but went and warmed up at the Celtic end. When he returned to the bench he was asked why. He simply said, I get less abuse off them. 

Barasic isn't anywhere near as bad as some Rangers fans attempt to make him out, and he isn't near as good as others make him out.

In fact, him and Ridvan are much of a muchness. However, I do believe the stats will show Barasic offers more assists and in my opinion, he's our only full back that can take a decent / dangerous corner. 

His time at Rangers is coming to an end, hopefully Ridvan's is as well. 

Stats:

Ridvan is better in the creativity department (even if his chances created have not been taken - 3.5 xA!). 

Barisic is better defensively - although Ridvan is a better front-foot defender (possession won in final third and interception). 

The biggest difference is the 10 years between them! That alone suggests Ridvan should be the priority - IMO. 

Screenshot_20240316_162155_FotMob.thumb.jpg.e6ad8ade8412c0e2ecfa8e2700478ebf.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_162238_FotMob.thumb.jpg.5bff52b4a7a9b78bba9e9124697fbec1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Stats:

Ridvan is better in the creativity department (even if his chances created have not been taken - 3.5 xA!). 

Barisic is better defensively - although Ridvan is a better front-foot defender (possession won in final third and interception). 

The biggest difference is the 10 years between them! That alone suggests Ridvan should be the priority - IMO. 

Screenshot_20240316_162155_FotMob.thumb.jpg.e6ad8ade8412c0e2ecfa8e2700478ebf.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_162238_FotMob.thumb.jpg.5bff52b4a7a9b78bba9e9124697fbec1.jpg

When I said assists I meant chances that created goals, I'm sure Barisic is ahead of Ridvan 😀

Anyone who watched Thursdays game must have noticed how mentally and physically drained he was. I'm not singling him out, I mentioned 4 or 5 others who looked the same.

I've said numerous times (until I'm sick to my back teeth) I really don't care who starts as there is nothing between them IMO.

It's the demonisation of Barisic that is unfair IMO.