Gersnet .... the 11 months a year forum

True, but for the site to be successful I have one constructive criticism. When the site goes down, could we have somewhere to look for news about what's happening and when it's back up?

When the site is down for a while with no news you get tempted to defect to another forum! And then you get out of the habit of checking up on gersnet...

i have been thinking about this. i pay a considerable sum for the use of the server - the service is very good, i have only been down for two weeks (these ones) in about 3-4 years. getting use of another server in a completely different location seems like overkill. the things that have been the most destructive downtimes have been domains not being renewed (and subsequently stolen) rather than anything to do with the server - and the problem that did occur (a corruption in a hard disk array so bad that it forced the physical rebuilding of the entire server and corrupted the backups) is very, very rare. so getting (buying) use of another server may be more than we need for this purpose -especially now that the thing that caused us the main problem in the past (domain renewing) isnt a problem anymore.

however, calscot is right - from the end users point of view it simply doesnt matter why something has gone down, they can take their "custom" elsewhere, even if they would prefer be here were it available. i think some kind of information service is key. you cant be loyal to something that doesnt exist (no snipes about god please :)).

my current preferred option is setting up a free message board alternative and keeping a "to be used in case of emergency" mailing list of board members email address, provided no-one objects. s_a is right: a fair bit of time & indeed money is invested in this site for no (financial) reward, so members here get something as well as give something. i think so long as everyone pulls together when stuff goes wrong, even the mighty FF has had its problems in the past, we will continue to have a worthwhile forum. hopefully offering something a little different than other forums.

as a sort of thankyou, sometime in the next month when i hopefully get better and back to work, i am going to set up yourname at gersnetonline.net webmail for regular forum punters, and a few other features i have been meaning to do but for unwellness.

anyway, thanks again, and i will have more details on the backup service once i have worked out exactly the best way to do it.

Good stuff Barry. I know whenever there are problems, and as you say since it has been run on your server, this has been the first problem. I do try and find out what is happening from either you or Frankie and I then mail everyones addresses that I have, albeit probably not too many.

An alternative place to post sounds good... :D

As for the providing the information if a site is down I was thinking along the lines of something like the RST having a section on all the Rangers forums and if one is down, the information that there is a problem and when it is likely to be solved could be put there. So if the gersnet site is down I can go straight to the RST to find out what's going on.

Of course gersnet could reciprocate and give information if the RST site is down... ;)

When you just get a 404, it means you have no way of getting information from the site, and you don't know if it's gone for good.

Can't really complain if something that is provided free of charge, and by hardworking individuals who give up their own time and expertise, is unavailable for a time due to reasons not the fault of said individuals.

I don't think anyone is complaining as such but not knowing what the problem was or how long the site will be down is a bummer. I'm sure Barry and Frankie and anyone else who helps run and maintain the site were doing their best to get the site back up and running again.

I like Barrys idea of having an alternative site we can use if/when the main gersnet site crashes again.

I'm just glad it's back. Happy days!!!!!