Who Should Pay For The Rising Price Of Football?

The price for watching football ââ?¬Ë?liveââ?¬â?¢ and in your ââ?¬Ë?armchairââ?¬â?¢ is rising and some of the ââ?¬Ë?armchairââ?¬â?¢ fans are up in arms over this. Now, I know that people donââ?¬â?¢t go to the football for genuine reasons ââ?¬â?? money, disability, illness etc, but why should those who treck the country in the middle of winter to watch a boring 0-0 draw subsidise those who sit in the comfort of their home? Also, many clubs would benefit if the armchair fans actually attended the games.

Discuss�.

Cammy F

yes, i alwys feel pretty miserable forking out a fortune to watch chelsea/rangers fight for a 0-0 draw in a muddy pitch in december while i`m sitting there thinking "feck i wish i`d put me thermals on".

theres just no way it`s fair and these armchair supporters should rightly pay more.

but, i suppose if your going to a live event it`ll always cost more.

the thing about armchair fans is that if you charge em too much they`ll just bugger off and find something else to watch.

not sure what the solution in this one is, but if you charge a armchair fan �£30 to watch a game you`ll not get many and the t.v companies know this.

but if you fleece the loyal fans of �£30 they`ll still stump up and thats whats bad about it all!

I only ever get to a couple of games a season, its just too far for me to fork out travel etc.... but if i win the lottery... lol.

Ive bought Setanta this year, i caved in after 2 years of refusing to pay considering the deal you get with Prem Plus, its scandalous. But like i mentioned in another thread i more often than not missed the Sunday games as i didnt really feel like going to the pub to watch it all the time.

Hoping to get to more games next season though, PLG's revolution will hopefully be a treat to watch. :thup:

I don't go to see games - with the exception of the Scotland home games. I just can't afford to. I would like nothing more than to follow Rangers the length and breadth of Scotland and Europe but it's just not possible. Going to games is, I think, hugely overpriced. When we play Dunfermline at home, the entertainment on offer is poor (just an example). Why should we pay 20, 25, 30 quid to go and watch that. Tickets should be priced on the quality of the opposition - I know it's never a guarentee of an entertaining game but it would encourage higher gates against smaller teams.

I don't go to see games I just can't afford to. I would like nothing more than to follow Rangers the length and breadth of Scotland and Europe but it's just not possible.

Same here. altho this year i will make it to more games than i have done previously at least! :D cant fookin wait either!

I think there is a big difference between fans who dont make it to Ibrox for games because of financial reasons and the fans who dont make it because the game is on T.V. and they can watch it in the house.

Like you say cammy, if these fans are going to have to fork out silly amounts of money to watch the games in the house, it may sway them towards going to the game, i know season ticket holders who have watched games in the house rather than going so it would be cheaper for these people to go to the game than it would be to pay to watch it in the house.

I think there are too amny factors to take into acount here. Id gladly spend a 3 1/2 hour journey there watch the game an come home.

Sounds easy doesnt it?

Not when you dont work monday to friday. Then there may be the added option of being able to have your children for those days you have off.

Im sorry, but if anyone thinks they are more of a suporter cos they can go week in week out I personally think it's pathetic

Fook rant over before I say the rest of wat I think of this!

Im sorry, but if anyone thinks they are more of a suporter cos they can go week in week out I personally think it's pathetic

Agreed, its pure a common sense answer - some can make it, some cant.

Id love to be going back to Ibrox regularly again just now but its absolutely impossible. Even when i stayed in UK a 3 hour train journey (each way) plus expenses for the day took its tole on the pocket over a season and meant the amount of games i could go to was restricted. And then there is the fact we could be going to watch 90 mins of dire against Livingston for 22 quid.

If TV companies what to charge what they are charging just now then so be it, if those who go to games dont like the fact its cheaper then either stop going to games and watch it at home or accept it.

The other point is people want to watch football in general. Im a huge fan of the EPL so rightly am a arm chair fan of this as going to the EPL every week would be pretty difficult.

I wasn't saying anything regarding 'arm-chair fans' - just asked the question as to who should be paying more - the people who follow their clubs everywhere, or the fans whom, for whatever reason, watch the games in the comfort of their house. Before the introduction of live football, me and my friends would regularly go to local games if and when Rangers weren't playing, or playing on a Sunday. In those days, it was cheap enough for us to do this - we would go to see the Shire, Falkirk, DAFC, Hearts, Hibs, Stenhousemuir, Alloa etc.

Take Boro in Europe last season - there was a story of the 100 or so fans who had travelled to all the games, home and away and it had cost them in the region of £10,000 each. Now, I seen most of the Boro games in the UEFA Cup for nothing - doesn't seem fair to me.

Now, take Arsenal - they are charging over £1000 per season ticket from their new stadium - season ticket holders getting ripped off IMO.

IMO, the 'arm chair fans' should be the fans that the club charge the most for the simple reason that they aren't actively following the club and the fans who do go week in, week out shouldn't have their loyality rewarded with huge and over priced ticket prices.

I could watch all Rangers away games on Sentanta (plus shit loads more football) for £180 per year - but I prefer to go and watch the game live. For that chose I get charged £36 at Parkhead, £25-28 pounds at Easter Road and Tynecastle and over £20 for every other away ground.

IMO the ticket prices should be lowered and the price for watching the game on Sentanta increased. This *may* actually force more people to get out and watch the games putting more money into the game that smaller clubs really need.

And, if the prices for tickets were lower, then the attendences would increase. I can not remember the last time I was at a Rangers away game and there wasn't loands of tickets from sale outside the ground (for the home end as well as the away end).

As I said, this wasn't questioning whether the 'armchair fans' were any less of a fan than someone who doesn't miss a game - it was about who should pay more for the privilage of watching football.

Cammy F