Panathinaikos 1 : 1 Rangers - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

I thought 6 was generous for Boyd - he's not doing much to answer his critics and Novo has been far more effective (and actually finished for once! :))

Adam is getting worse with every game and surely Naismith is a better bet there?

McCulloch might be the first choice on the left but he's been out of sorts lately too...

It wasn't a vintage performance although I think we shaded the plaudits in both games and deserved to go through against a team fairly comparible with the OF.

I'm hoping we can improve the team against Bremen with the return of Whittaker, Thomson and of course Darche in the second leg. A bonus could be the return of the "'Smith on the right', on the left" if you get my drift.

Weir is looking tired and incredibly slow and you have to wonder whether Webster could be a better bet in the latter stages of the competition. However, I can't see many managers breaking up a pretty successful and established, central defensive partnership.

At least Dailly looks like he might be able to do a cover job.

What's happened to Hemdani? He was a much better player when he was only getting a game in the CL...

Anyway, the three players I'd like to see replaced in the next round are Broadfoot, Davies and Adam. And whisper it, but I'd probably want Boyd dropped too...

think this is a good assessment, but i disagree about boyd. i thought he held the ball up well with a very unsupportive midfield. i like broadfoot as a player, but we are suffering from having no attacking fullbacks as they are the most likely players to get space in europe. hemdani was really poor last night and adam was as poor as ever. but we have that resolove that you need.

Guest grovecot

Anyway, the three players I'd like to see replaced in the next round are Broadfoot, Davies and Adam. And whisper it, but I'd probably want Boyd dropped too...

I can't make my mind up about Broadfoot. The St Mirren fans I know regard him highly - but say he's a natural centre half. I'd like to see him play a few games there - especially since Weir onbiously needs a break.

I can't make my mind up about Broadfoot. The St Mirren fans I know regard him highly - but say he's a natural centre half. I'd like to see him play a few games there - especially since Weir onbiously needs a break.

same here m8, he's done well at right back but would like to see him at centre half. his long balls and passing are typical centre half i.e. pish...........

I think Broadfoot is a not bad player, but he starts to look wanting while playing out of position at European level. He's certainly no Hutton. I'd prefer Whittaker to play there and so hope he's fit soon, but he also needs to raise his game to Huttonesque levels.

Compensation could come in the form of Smith on the left - if he recapture his form from before his injury...

Strange about Boyd - I thought he did ok playing the deeper role against Kilmarnock on sunday with his knock ons. He wasnt great but it was better from what ive seen of him.

I would rather he play the deeper striker than the frontman. Ive always said he could form a good partnership with Buffel and Novo. Buffel would provide him with loads of chances while Boyd could flick on for both those other 2.

Normally agree with you, but why Dailly is included in MOTM poll os baffling to me Frankie.

A late sub whose first tackle was fantastic, but then proceeded to give numerous freekicks away in dangerous positions with schoolboy-esque errors.

McGregor's contribution was far superior and he is not included in the list? Went for Cuellar of those left.

Think Boyd should get much mroe credit. If Sebo/Cousin/Darche had played liek he did last night with the entire midfield posted missing they would be getting roundly praised with the lack of service highlighted.

Those who say Boyd is poor in the air. Do they actually watch football. Not only does he get up to win the punted highballs, rather than only managing to flick the ball on straight behind him in the direction it was already travelling, but he'll twist and play it into space. Don't see many other forwards doing thsi for us. The problem though, is that the two wide players and any advanced midfielders don't get up to support him and posession is wasted.

Early on he comitted a few clumsy fouls as he was eager to impress. But as he settled his contribution improved even if the support he was given did not.

ALso haven't read the match thread, nor seen it in any report in the paper, but his movement in teh build up to the goal was superb. Dropped deep just out of teh box to receive the ball and lay it back to Fergie who pushed it out to Burke for the cross.

Any criticism of Boyd's overall contribution last night shows a lack of insight of formation and the pattern of play last night. Any forward bar possibly Drogba would have struggled to have any great impact last night. The other 9 outfield players behind the forward were almost completely inept in attacking play.

Guest Stephen Rankin

McGregor - Outstanding by this man once again. The man kept out a premiership legend for 6 months so it shows how good he is. The amount of times he saved Rangers last night was incredible

Broadfoot - He was alright. Nothing more, nothing less.

David Weir - Sh*t in my opinion. Gave the ball away too many times and couldn't keep up with the pace. Get Webster in pronto

Carlos Cueller - Outstanding yet again. The best defender since Richard Gough perhaps? time will tell. Certainly better than Fanfan and Svensson

Sasa Papac - Another solid performance by the natural centre back. Kept the likes of Simao out and silenced them. Pity he got a knock

Nacho Novo - Another great performance by the wee man. His speedy runs caused problems all night and good to see him scoring. It's a wonder how he doesn't play more regularly.

Brahim Hemdani - Another solid performance I thought although noting like what he be do. Still did us proud

Barry Ferguson - Thought he was awful to be honest. Didn't have quite the same influence and passion he usually plays with and I have noticed that a lot now( Panathanaikos twice, Killie and Gretna) Seems as if he knows he will be picked so he doesn't play as hard.

Steven Davis - A great performance by him. Good signing so far and hopefully we can see more attacking football by him.

Charlie Adam - One word, sh*te. Sh*te all season, sh*te now. Burke should of started.

Kris Boyd - Had a good game I felt. It's a very tough role to play, you get hardly any chances, need to run around like a headless chicken and hold the ball off against a great defence.

What's everyone think?