Scotland manager George Burley has revealed that he is weighing up the prospect of calling on Sunderland defender Phil Bardsley.

The 22-year-old right-back was born in Eccles but qualifies for Scotland through his Glasgow-born father.

"I will watch Bardsley and assess if he warrants selection," said Burley. "If he does it would be a case of speaking to Phil.

"If he didn't want to play for us that would be the end of the story."

Bardsley agreed a three-and-a-half year deal with Sunderland in January after starting his career with Manchester United.

While at Old Trafford, Bardsley was farmed out on loan to Royal Antwerp, Burnley, Rangers, Aston Villa and Sheffield United.

He featured in seven games for Rangers in 2006 before a training ground disagreement saw him sidelined by then Ibrox manager Paul Le Guen.

Tottenham's Alan Hutton has established himself as the first choice right-back for Scotland, while Graham Alexander and Graeme Murty have also been deployed in the role recently.

Steven Whittaker and Kevin McNaughton are also certain to be considered for the position Burley filled as a player for Ipswich and Scotland.

Bardsley has been non-committal about his international future since he was first approached by former Scotland boss Walter Smith.

"Players have to show they want to play for Scotland, show they have passion and a hunger for Scotland," added Burley.

"That is the key. I won't force any man to play for us."

Hutton will just have to keep him out of the team again!

Dont like Bardsleys attitude but he is a better option than McNaughton and Alexander. However Hutton has this position his own for the next 10 years and Whittaker is fine back up.

Steven Whittaker could play right back if needed too. He's a bit more adventurous than pass-it-backwards-Alexander if Hutton was ever injured. Seems he could do a decent shift at left back too if McEveley doesn't make the grade ?

Steven Whittaker could play right back if needed too. He's a bit more adventurous than pass-it-backwards-Alexander if Hutton was ever injured. Seems he could do a decent shift at left back too if McEveley doesn't make the grade ?

McEveley? No way! Stevie Smith is on the road back. He'll be Scotlands 1st choice LB in a few months.

Was of a similar standard as Hutton at the start of the PLG era, when Hutton was branded "crap". HAving said that, even back then Hutton was my preferred choice due to his height, with Bardsley being weak in the air.

Add in a bad attitude and it's no thanks from me. Hutton then Whittaker.

Never mind him,get wee Nacho capped

Oooooooooft, controversial or what!

I'd love to see that happen but the uproar from fans from the tinks and sheep land would be deafening.