A bit quiet on the forum just now especially on Rangers chat despite us flying in 4 competitions.

I was thinking back to Traynors comments on the UEFA cup and how its maybe a hinderance to our league campaign.

Just wanted everyone elses thoughts on it.

Is it in the way?

Are we taking it seriously?

Do we care if we get knocked out from Werder?

Can we go further?

Can we win it?

My take is first and foremost I want the league title. But i dont see how the UEFA cup can stop us winning that - they are exclusive comps. I want to go on and give Werder our best shot, and go on and progress. I really hope WS is taking it serious and giving it his BEST shot. I dont fear them at all and this is the sort of fixture rangers should be going into with confidence. Its an exciting stage as if we win this we are in the last 8 and only 2 games away from the final. We can give anyone a game at Ibrox so if we take a lead to Germany the job is half done.

IMO the one thing that is hindering us is the SPL / SFA's incompetance of organising a fixture list. They have zero common sense when it comes to helping THEIR clubs in europe.

The simple thing would be from next season put the league cup back to what it used to be and have it done and dusted by October - ot would make it more interesting.

For this season the simple thing to do is extend the SPL by 1-2 weeks. Its a free summer so there is no problem.

League-wise, we're going to come under pressure as Celtic can now focus on this and the Scottish Cup. If we continue in the UEFA Cup there's no way we will not take it seriously given the financial benefits and the prestige. There's absolutely no reason why we cant reach the semis or the final itself so bring it on as far as I'm concerned.

Is it in the way ? = NO !

Are we taking it seriously ? = YES

Do we care if we get knocked out by Werder ? = Not really

Can we go further ? = YES

Can we win it ? = No

What he said :D

Cammy F

I think its important for the stature of the club to be competeing in the latter stages of europe. Thats 3 years running we've made it to the last 16 of Euro competition.

Remember when we had valencia in one of our champions league groups? and we got slated for not beating them? well after getting to the semi's that year, and continually being involved in the business end of euro comps they raised their profile and went from strength to strength. even if they have had a blip or two.

Seeing Rangers in the hat, and on the highlights in the latter stages is a great way to attract quality foreign players that might be put off by the reputation of the SPL.

Out of the teams left in the Uefa Cup I would by no means say we are the best and we are definitely not favourites.

What I would say is that we are probably the hardest team to beat. If we can get past one of the favourites for the trophy, and stick to our strengths, I dont see what would be stopping us going one better than the tims 5 years ago (- well 2 better, the league is coming home too! ;))

I'm not saying "Rangers will win the UEFA cup" just saying if we keep performing the way we have been, and take each game as it comes, why not believe?

Aye, I don't see why we shouldn't harbour ambitions of going all the way. No we are not favourites, we're not even favourites for thsi tie. But when you look at how some very limited sides (in elite European terms) have made it to latter stages of Euro comps and even won them; Porto, Marseille, Middlesborough, Newcastle, Celtic, then I don't see why we can't continue to punch above our weight and if we carry a bit of luck, reach a semi or the final.

Was actually discussing some of these points with Andy yesterday and we agreed on one interesting point. Despite everyone bemoaning our recent forays into Europe when did we have a recent record that read;

05/06 - CL last 16

06/07 - UEFA cup last 16

07/08 - UEFA cup last 16 possibly further.

And that is under much maligned managers Eck, PLG/Walter and this season Walter (maligned only in Europe).

Souness and laterly Walter and Advocaat in the big spending era of the 90's did not produce records like that.

This is also well refelcted in our co-efficient. Whilst Celtic lost Seville off their co-efficient this year (23points!) and then their next biggest contribution to their co-efficient (15 points) for the following year, we go from strength to strength. We lost our worst year (4 poinhts) for this year and next year we lose our next lowest contribution of 6 points. Our recent runs have brung in 13.2 points in 05/06, 15.4 points in 06/07 and so far 12.5 points this year.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2008.html

For the first time in a wee while we are guaranteed to be seeded higher than the mhanks even if we accumulate no more points this year. And the benefit of this should not be underestimated. Look at their progression from a very limited group this year thanks to being 2nd seeds.

We are currently ranked 30 in Europe for next season. However this may change. For example Newcastle and Boro will not be playing next year so that promotes us two places. However there are plenty more points to be won.

As much as we've improved over the last year I'm not sure we have the overall quality to be able to challenge for this trophy. I'd love to be proved wrong and want to stay in the competition as long as possible but I think the SPL rightly takes priority.

Once again the number of chances we create tonight will depend on who plays in the wider roles of the midfield 5 and whoever is selected will need to get forward to support Cousin whilst not negating their defensive duties. Will be interesting to see who will play in the centre as well with Hemdani, Thomson and dailly all vying for the holding role.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Davis play wide right allowing Thomson or Hemdani to come in with Dailly man-marking Diego.

Bremen are a decent side, doing well domestically with a few good results in the CL earlier this season. Certainly a side genuinely capable of winning the competition.

However, as much as they are dangerous on the attack, they're also capable of conceding goals so this should be quite an interesting game with the chance of a fair few goals.

As usual, if we play to our strengths and if we take the chances that should come our way, there's no reason why we can't get a positive result to take to Germany.

We beat the German champions at home and were unlucky away but beat them overall in the "tie" on away goals rule.

No reason why we can't do the same to Bremen. We are a more cohesive unit now, despite being weakened by suspensions, injuries and a player sold. Bremen also cannot pick their first choice side which evens the playing field.

It will obviously depend on how the teams play on the nights but looking at how both teams have performed in Europe this season, our chances can be no worse than 50-50.

I thought the same with Pana and we just shaded it; maybe that could happen again... :)

I think last nights result answers my question :)

Terrific score and puts us within sight of the last 8 although still a tough 90 mins to come in Germany. But there is nobody to fear at all, we have had some great results in europe this season.