Rangers 2 : 0 Werder Bremen - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

I thought Bazza had an outstanding game after being off form for a while, and when he does so, we are a much, much better team. He chased, tackled and blocked everything while remaining calm and creative on the ball. We need him in this form in every European game.

Hemdani also improved but is still not as slick and effective as earlier in the season - Dailly helping him out certainly improved matters.

I've been impressed with Dailly, after originally being wary of his signing - although I thought he'd be a good squad player and a notch above Ehiogu. However, he's really giving Thomson and Hemdani a run for their places. Great player to have around in a long season as he can play just about anywhere. Let's give him at least another season, if not two.

Davis has also been a revelation and not only has he improved with every game, I don't think it's a coincidence that Fergie has as well. He takes a lot of pressure off our captain and they also gel well. Again while I thought he'd be a good squad player, I wasn't overly inspired by his loan, but now I want him signed pronto. It's also great to have more bodies to fill the centre midfield as at one point we were playing our three best there at the same time, with only Faye (eek!) to come in for injury.

Walter has again been proven right when it comes to Adam, he's told us to lay off the lad and I think we should heed that advice. He's still a young with some rough edges but last night looked like one of the best players on the park and definitely the most dangerous. He can definitely do it, he just needs to work on consistency. Booing him is certainly not going to help. Maybe he needs to watch a few recordings of his good games and bad, and let him work out what he does differently.

I was really pleased that Cousin's deal fell through which was more to do with Darche's suspension and injury problems. We have no-one else who can really lead the line in the solo role and it's great to have two players who can do that. He played that role immensely last night, holding the ball up in a way that Boyd can only dream of. He also attacked the goal well, always asking questions of the keeper, and given Weiss's foibles he was doing the right thing. His goal could be considered a lucky mistake but it still took a fantastic strike to bring out the keeper's gaffe. Testing the keeper also brought the second goal and brings home how important it is to get powerful shots on target and have players always following up.

MacGregor had only two real saves to make and performed them with aplomb. The rest of his general play was impeccable and we have no worries about him at all. He'll be pleased with his 8th clean sheet in 13 European games this season.

Broadfoot stepped into Hutton's shoes and did himself proud - in attack as well as defence. Not quite as assured or as skilled as his expensive predecessor but put in a great shift that Hutton would have been pleased with.

Weir was outstanding and belied the tired look he's had of late. Never caught out once and rescued the team a few times after poor mistakes allowed the Bremer attackers forward.

Cuellar had another great game too, however he needs to concentrate on his distribution and be careful about giving the ball away cheaply in a dangerous position. Tackled and headed like a masterclass.

Papac was solid again and much better coming forward. Showed some neat tricks and good ball control at times but lost the ball cheaply with some poor control at others. Good game for him but needs to cut out too many mistakes.

I thought McCulloch did a very good job coming on for Cousin and was so unlucky not to score. Needed to do an Henry and just chuck his whole body, elbows and all at the ball. It was a fantastic tackle though and Lee did well to get into the scoring position in the first place.

That tackle probably evened up the goalkeeping mistake for the first goal, so 2-0 was probably the right result reflecting the play.

Walter Smith just keeps on coming up with the goods, and apart from the Lyon home game has picked the squad and tactics to perfection in Europe this season and this could be the first time we've got to the last 8 in Europe since '93.

However, we should not take the 2-0 for granted as we've been there before with Dortmund, lost 2-0 away and then went out on penalties. I think Kaiserslautern also put us out at the same stage after we won at Ibrox.

All in all it's looking like a great season with us also at the top of the league, a final to look forward to and still in the Scottish cup. We're on a great unbeaten run and also a run of 11 straight wins in the league.

This is shaping up to be our best season on all fronts for a long, long time.

Walter Smith just keeps on coming up with the goods, and apart from the Lyon home game has picked the squad and tactics to perfection in Europe this season and this could be the first time we've got to the last 8 in Europe since '93.

All in all it's looking like a great season with us also at the top of the league, a final to look forward to and still in the Scottish cup. We're on a great unbeaten run and also a run of 11 straight wins in the league.

This is shaping up to be our best season on all fronts for a long, long time.

To see just what a job Walter Smith has done in just over a year you only need to look at where we are in terms of competing in all competitions including a European one (it isnt that long ago that being in Europe beyond Christmas was awish ratehr than expectation) but significantly just take a look at the number of points we have amassed this season by comparison the previous couple of seasons.

Currently we have 68 points from 27 games

2006/07 we got 72 points from 38 games

2005/06 we got 73 points from 38 games

Some of the football may not be pretty but we are gradually becoming very consistent, hard to break down and if you dont lose goals you dont lose games. Once the consistency has been achieved one would hope that WS will look to improve the quality of product - but to play devils advocate perhaps he likes the 4-5-1 (or is it 4-3-3) and will persevere with it and look to simply improve the quality of personnel within it ?

One thing is for sure though, whether you enjoy watching the team playing or not, it is much more enjoyable being a Bear this season than it has been for the better part of 3 or 4 years !

Long may the boring but consistent football continue so long as it reaps rewards by seeing us collect trophies (ok, so lets lose the boring but the rest..... I am fine with !)

No failures last night however, special praise for the outstanding Broadfoot (who continues to impress), Davis, Fergie, Adam and Dailly. MOTM was Cousin - led the line superbly, battled all night and rammed the boos down the booboys throats (shame on them).

Cammy F