Definatly a good signing, he was a top top striker and i didint give a monkeys what religion he was/is.

I remember before he signed i was thinking "oh no, celtic are going to get MoJo back and that will improve them", but when he signed for us i was happy we had got him.

In hindsight, yes, McCoist and Hateley may have been the better partnership.

I also remember watching the news and a few Gers fans coming on saying they will never go back (to Ibrox) - crazy!! Its just a shame MoJo cant come back to Glasgow these days for the fear of being jumped.

Yip and that'snot because of Rangers fans either Gribz... ;)

At the time I was delighted Johnston signed. We had plenty RC players before him but he was arguably the most high profile of them all.

There were a lot of unhappy bears (and mostly Celtic fans as well) at the time. However, not all of this was because of his religion just because a lot of people didn't like him or his previous actions while playing for Celtic against Rangers.

The season ticket burning thing was orchestrated by the newspapers though and was minimal.

Luckily we've now moved on with no small part to this transfer.

I remember at the time bemoaning that Celtic had signed him and not us as he had a good partnership with McCoist for Scotland. People told me I was stupid to even think about him signing for Rangers.

I was pretty smug a few days later... :D

He was a good signing for us as he was a very good player and gave us options up front. It also weakened our rivals and it was great pulling the rug from underneath them.

But on hindsight, I think it was a fantastic signing for Rangers FC. It showed the world we would sign anyone if they were good enough, we could afford them and they wanted to come.

We already had John Spencer but it put to bed the myth that we wouldn't sign a "proper catholic" - whatever that is...

It blew the whole "Rangers FC are sectarian" reputation out of the water and paved the way for an equal opportunities policy at Ibrox with the blessing of most of the support.

It's just a pity that 17 years on, a large section of the fans are still blind to Rangers' more recent traditions.

See if the 11 players PLG puts out onto the park are catholic I wouldn't give a fuck as long as they were the best 11 players we had at the club and won us the league. :D
Agree with you Gaz

See if the 11 players PLG puts out onto the park are catholic I wouldn't give a fuck as long as they were the best 11 players we had at the club and won us the league. :D

Exactly, i dont care if they are catholic, muslim or aboriginee's. Race or religion should not even come into the equation, i dont even want to know. As long as they give there all for the blue jersey that is what matters

Would you care if we were rubbish though? Ideally we shouldn't even want to know what religion they are whether we win or lose.

The only time I want to know what catholics play for Rangers is to disabuse ignorant people who think, for some strange reason, that we are a protestant team...

If these kind of people weren't around I wouldn't be interested at all.

Would you care if we were rubbish though? Ideally we shouldn't even want to know what religion they are whether we win or lose.

The only time I want to know what catholics play for Rangers is to disabuse ignorant people who think, for some strange reason, that we are a protestant team...

If these kind of people weren't around I wouldn't be interested at all.

If we were rubbish of course I'd care but I'd care whatever or whoever was on the park and they'd g be getting pelters off me whatever race or religion they are.

Religion should NEVER be a reason for a player to be signed or not signed - however, would we be happy if we signed Neil Lennon knowing his feelings towards Rangers, Rangers fans, our history and traditions?

I for one would HATE to see a wee scrote like Lennon pull on the famous blue jersey and would seriously rethink my support if we signed him or anyone else with 'that' reputation (no matter their religion).

Cammy F