I remember at the time bemoaning that Celtic had signed him and not us as he had a good partnership with McCoist for Scotland. People told me I was stupid to even think about him signing for Rangers.

I was pretty smug a few days later... :D

He was a good signing for us as he was a very good player and gave us options up front. It also weakened our rivals and it was great pulling the rug from underneath them.

But on hindsight, I think it was a fantastic signing for Rangers FC. It showed the world we would sign anyone if they were good enough, we could afford them and they wanted to come.

We already had John Spencer but it put to bed the myth that we wouldn't sign a "proper catholic" - whatever that is...

It blew the whole "Rangers FC are sectarian" reputation out of the water and paved the way for an equal opportunities policy at Ibrox with the blessing of most of the support.

It's just a pity that 17 years on, a large section of the fans are still blind to Rangers' more recent traditions.

For me your comment in bold calscot was THE SINGLE biggest plus of signing MoJo - it made the footballing world (or at least Scotland) see that we were moving forward in an inclusive way.

Of course, the fact he was also a very good striker AND the fact that we got him from under the noses of our fiercest rivals after he had been paraded at Parkhead with the green and grey hoops was just icing on the cake.

Religion should NEVER be a reason for a player to be signed or not signed - however, would we be happy if we signed Neil Lennon knowing his feelings towards Rangers, Rangers fans, our history and traditions?

I for one would HATE to see a wee scrote like Lennon pull on the famous blue jersey and would seriously rethink my support if we signed him or anyone else with 'that' reputation (no matter their religion).

Cammy F

Neil Lennon would be an absolute no-no Cammy..... but for me it is because of the hatred he has towards us as a club (and everything about the club)and not his religion.

Has nothing to do with religion but everything to do with the person he is.

Has nothing to do with religion but everything to do with the person he is.

But, it could be argued that his 'religion' has made him the person he is - in respect of his feelings for our club.

Cammy F

But, it could be argued that his 'religion' has made him the person he is - in respect of his feelings for our club.

Cammy F

Fair point Cammy - but my dislike of us signing him would be based entirely on his hatred towards us - his 'religion' wouldn't even be an after-thought for me, it ALL boils down to his hatred of our great club. His 'religion' also never MADE him have the venomous feelings he has towards us.

I do see what you are saying though

There are a lot of Catholics in the world who don't hate Rangers. I think the only thing his religion has done is help him choose his objects of hatred. However he was brought up he was always going to hate someone, it's in his nature.

I have a lot of respect for this comment. Sure, you made a mistake but now you recognise it.

Cheers the only thing i could really say in my defence was that i was only 15/16 at the time and really didn't know any better. Now i do. Religion never really ever comes into any more for me. Think we have had a lot of good catholic signings.

Dont care as long as they play well for the club

Cheers the only thing i could really say in my defence was that i was only 15/16 at the time and really didn't know any better. Now i do. Religion never really ever comes into any more for me. Think we have had a lot of good catholic signings.

Dont care as long as they play well for the club

at that age you are still impressionable anyway gersfem - it takes a big (not literally ;) ) person to admit that they even did it, let alone that they were embarrassed by it - if only some of the others that did it could see it your way too it could only be construed as a good thing