Post Tannidice / Pre Sporting Rants

Why would we sign a full back for midfield?? :confused:

Agree he was back up to Hutton but then Broadfoot was bought for back up for the centre halfs.

Would Barcelona sign Gary Neville for midfield??

Because hes a full back whos offensive qualities are a lot better than his defensive qualities.

Its obvious that he wasnt bought just for back up for Hutton, he came in and played right mid straight away, where in his first few games he was being praised by a lot of fans.

I dont think he is our best option at right mid (by a long way) but i do believe that Walter signed him with a view to play him there.

Im not even going to start on Gisabeer's comments :mad:

Because hes a full back whos offensive qualities are a lot better than his defensive qualities.

Its obvious that he wasnt bought just for back up for Hutton, he came in and played right mid straight away, where in his first few games he was being praised by a lot of fans.

I dont think he is our best option at right mid (by a long way) but i do believe that Walter signed him with a view to play him there.

I am genuinely asking as I didnt here any papers, reports etc when he was signed that we would be taking him as an attacking right midfielder. I didnt think he offered much offensive wise anyway and thats why im baffled why we are considering him at RM ahead of natural attacking players like Novo, Naismith, McCulloch and even Lennon, Gow and Buffel.

But with Hutton moving on so soon I do tend to think he was bought for Huttons replacement more than anything else

When Whittaker was at Hibs he looked like a good attacking right midfielder - while playing at right back.

We discussed at the time that he would make a good partner for Hutton as they could overlap each other and also track back and cover for each other. We also knew he could back up Hutton for right back but the general opinion was that he looked a better midfielder than defender.

Players can usually play in more than one position which many of our players have done well at.

Ricksen did it before and I'm sure I've seen Neville in midfield now and again.

Derek Johnstone played striker and centre half.

Can you tell me which position we signed Dailly for as he's played striker, centre half, fully back and midfield sweeper in his career?

Whittaker was bought for his flexibility and at the time, right midfield was a problem area with Burke always injured or ill and Novo really a striker.

Those that don't remember or believe Whittaker was bought to at least cover for right mid, have short memories or are not very well informed.

As for anyone thinking we are embarrassing in Europe, what kind of state were you in after the Viktoria Zhizkov tie?

Now that is what you call embarrassing.

And I can remember many other far greater embarrassments than our run this year.

We have accumulated our record coefficient points ever, and moved to 26th in the UEFA rankings, our highest for a while - and Celtic have dropped to 43rd, and set to drop further next year.

It seems there's just no pleasing some people.

Players can usually play in more than one position which many of our players have done well at.

Those that don't remember or believe Whittaker was bought to at least cover for right mid, have short memories or are not very well informed.

Yeah well excuse me for not being well informed but where Hibs full backs play and what Rangers sign them for doesnt quite make the mass media in this continent. I go by what people say on here for my Rangers news and cant say I remember everyone saying Whittaker was an exciting player going forward - and if they did they have been proved very much wrong so far.

Professional footballers should be able to play more position than one anyway. Even though I played at a lower level I could still play on both wings, in the centre and upfront. I could play in goal but wasnt exactly good at it but Im sure with a excellent coach and if I was doing it for a full time job on good wages Id improve drastically.

Gribz, I'm sure we talked about it a lot here.

Whittaker was definitely an exciting player going forward for Hibs. He was more attacking than Hutton. However, he doesn't seem to have got his best game going at Rangers yet.

The trouble with Whit at Hibs was that after he got forward, he didn't get back quickly enough meaning that after just missing a chance Hibs could be under pressure. That's why many thought he'd do better in midfield. He has attacking and defensive qualities but is stretched too much when he has to get all the way back to a right back position.

Hopefully we'll see him recapture that form as we're really missing Hutton in Europe.

Gribz, I'm sure we talked about it a lot here.

Whittaker was definitely an exciting player going forward for Hibs. He was more attacking than Hutton. However, he doesn't seem to have got his best game going at Rangers yet.

The trouble with Whit at Hibs was that after he got forward, he didn't get back quickly enough meaning that after just missing a chance Hibs could be under pressure. That's why many thought he'd do better in midfield. He has attacking and defensive qualities but is stretched too much when he has to get all the way back to a right back position.

Hopefully we'll see him recapture that form as we're really missing Hutton in Europe.

Maybe its the style of our play that has to do with it also?? But in saying that hutton still managed to get forward very well. Also, if we have 3 central midfielders then there is no better chance for a wing back to get forward. As you say he may come good though. I was surprised to see him start there against D Utd but i think id rather see him there than Burke who just gets blown off the ball.

The times ive been impressed with Whittaker has been at Left Back of all places but Papac has done even better. Its refreshing that we have that with S Smith also still to come back. The LB position was one we were all worried about not so long ago.

However overall he should be a very decent squad player if he isnt starting at RB.

:)

Walter would never give in to public pressure to do something, I think we all know that. I just think we have a lack of quality in key positions. He's made us hard to beat and that means we can grind out results, especially in the SPL where we inevitably still create a lot of chances, even against teams who set themselves up very defensively. But I think we're badly missing a couple of special players who can turn games for us when things aren't going well or "grab a game by the scruff of its neck".

Before the United game, someone said that WS might try a 4-4-2 because the 4-1-4-1 never worked in the CIS Cup Final. Well, he did, but it never worked either and we've discussed various reasons for that already on here.

As for Whittaker, his preferred position at Hibs was RM, but he could play at RB if required and worked well going forward with an attacking RB/WB as he could cover for them and vice versa. He's still a young player though and could do with a run of games in the side which will only benefit him. Not to mention the backing of all the fans as I get the impression from forums that he's another easy target for criticism. Just like Kevin Thomson was earlier in the season.

As for anyone thinking we are embarrassing in Europe, what kind of state were you in after the Viktoria Zhizkov tie?

Now that is what you call embarrassing.

And I can remember many other far greater embarrassments than our run this year.

We have accumulated our record coefficient points ever, and moved to 26th in the UEFA rankings, our highest for a while - and Celtic have dropped to 43rd, and set to drop further next year.

It seems there's just no pleasing some people.

This isnt a competition to see whos had the worst performance in europe calscot. I merley stated the obvious from what i see on the park, and im not the only one given by the comments i hear at the games. Sure weve some hard times in the past but what the hell has that got to do with whats going on now.

We have players who dont get a look in at Ibrox who could do a job for the club but walter chooses to go with 7 defenders two midfielders and a striker every time. thats were our problem lies. no imagination required. just boot the ball up the park and see what happens. just like werder bremen when er... novo was a lone striker up against two 6 5" defenders. great tactical genius there.

Gisabeer, Maybe you should become a football manager. Smith is obviously rubbish compared to you and with 150 managers who entered the UEFA cup not getting as far as Walter - and therefore must be really crap, then there must be an easy job for you somewhere...

Surely Smith must be doing something right? Or perhaps football has a lot more complexity than you appreciate...?

I'm sure there are a lot of managers that have gone gray and had heart bypasses who wish it was as easy as you suggest.