About Boyd today Pete mate, as I said, didn't want to go over old ground. I was just interested in todays performance and what peoples thoughts were. Not the past or the future.

I can only go on what i saw at the end of the highlights that showed his best points and the radio's report that he won everything in the air. He seemed to play well.

My further thoughts remain the same as my last post.

Boyd will need more than one decent performance against 1st division opposition to convince WS, AM and KM that he deserves to start, rightly or wrongly.

I for one though have been much more impressed with his attitude when played this season, his work-rate has been much better (better on many occasions than the much vaunted Cousin), as long as he continues to make the effort to better his game and mould it into what WS wants then he will get his chance, hopefully.

Agreed.

I also have been more impressed with work rate this season but he still hasnt impressed me performance wise that much. Just because he tries harder doesnt make hima better all rounder.

Shit forgot about the highlights.:mad:

To be honest Boyd is born in the wrong Era. If he had played in the 70's 80's then he would have been first pick. A modern striker needs to do more than just score goals. That sounds crazy but if a striker can't hold on to a ball then with modern athletic football your defence is put under pressure as your midfield are caught in no man's land. Personally i don't think you can rebuild a players technical ability you may be able to improve it to a certain extent but i don't see any more in Boyd than a super-sub. He can play in games you dominate but in games where you are on the back foot he is just not good enough.

Novo against Werder out is the perfect example. Because he could not hold the ball up we were put under pressure for ninety minutes.

Every time I hear people talk about Boyd I am reminded of what the great Gerd Muller (you youngsters may not have heard of him) said when he was accused of "only" scoring goals; he said, "Nobody ever ONLY scores goals!"

Watching the highlights, I think he did play a far better all round game than normal and seems to look like he's working on those aspects of his game. However, it's the first time I could honestly say that - he's got a long way to go...

At least he's started on the right road and if he keeps working at it, he could be much further up the pecking order.

In the meantime, Cousin and Darcheville have been far better choices for the lone striker and with only one place available, Boyd won't get much of a look in - especially in the big games.

If he keeps it up he should at least raise his status up Novo, and the fact the diminutive Spaniard is ahead of him, shows how little Boyd has done to improve himself up to now.

Maybe the penny has finally dropped.

Anyway with that kind of performance, I can see Krissie get a few starts against lesser opposition, in a 4-4-2 formation.

PS He must have been spitting that he came off just before a penalty was awarded. However, it's hard to know whether he was more annoyed that Cousin missed, or secretly happy that the gaff keeps him as first choice spot kicker.

heard a rumour that healy (NI player) is comming next season to partner boyd. this one wont go away.

It wouldnt surprise me to see one of Healy or K Miller signing in the summer. Both similar players who WS seems to like.