Ricksen checks into Sporting Chance

I have to say he has waited too long to do this, but I'm glad he's trying to get help.

"Troubled Rangers defender Fernando Ricksen has been referred to Tony Adams' Sporting Chance Clinic after being sent home from South Africa.

The Dutchman was disciplined by new manager Paul Le Guen for "inappropriate behaviour" on the outbound flight.

And Ricksen said: "I have met people who I feel can support me through this difficult stage and feel I can benefit from their counsel."

The clinic helps tackle alcoholism, drug abuse, gambling and depression. "

I thought he was checking into Sporting Lisbon when I first read the headline.

Glad he's realised he has a problem let's hope the clinic can help him out and let's hope he can help himself out too. What he did on the flight was wrong but well done Ricksen for eventually doing something to sort yourself out. :thup:

Im glad he is sorting his life out, a very brave decision and i applaud it. :thup:

But i think its too little to late for him, his under-performing was bad, but you cannot act like (allegedly) under a new manager hoping for a fresh start.

I believe it is too late for him. Had he not gone public to the media I think this latest move would have been applauded from with in Ibrox too and he might, just might, have been given another chance.

I hope he sorts his personal demons out though - football is a short career and one should never look back on it as an opportunity wasted !

Rangers' Fernando Ricksen has been commended for seeking the residential treatment that will see him enter the Sporting Chance Clinic on Monday.

The defender will be treated in London for "anger and behavioural management".

Clinic chief executive Peter Kay said: "He contacted us several months ago and has got to the stage where he has decided to have residential treatment.

"He has embarked on everything up to now with gusto and Rangers must also be commended for supporting the player."

Kay had been working with Ricksen for the past six months, but treatment will intensify after the Dutchman was sent home from Rangers' pre-season trip to South Africa.

The 29-year-old had an alcohol-fuelled argument with a stewardess on the outward flight.

"He cannot equate the person who behaved as he did on the plane with the person he knows he is," said Kay.

"Remorse is very much on the menu at the moment.

"We are very much interested in working with him on his future and getting him back to playing to the standard he is used to and becoming the man he knows he can be.

"At first, he thought one-to-one counselling would support him enough and I travelled up to Scotland on several occasions.

"Now this has happened and he has taken the step to get further treatment.

"Sometimes these things happen - as tragic and sad as they are - for a reason.

"Fernando is in a place where he is full of remorse and regret, but he is also a lighter weight this evening than he has been for the last few weeks."

Ricksen will continue his pre-season training at the clinic while undergoing an initial, week-long assessment.

Guest wilber55

He needs support not just as a Rangers player but as a human being. He is a very talented player. I hope he looks after his problem. It seems he has been in therapy for awhile. It at least shows he is trying. It seems the flight was a major setback, hopefully he gets the help he needs.I hope PLG gives him another chance.

He needs support not just as a Rangers player but as a human being. He is a very talented player. I hope he looks after his problem. It seems he has been in therapy for awhile. It at least shows he is trying. It seems the flight was a major setback, hopefully he gets the help he needs.I hope PLG gives him another chance.

I don't know about another chance as he has had plenty of them, but i do hope he sorts himself out.