Cuellar - Alan Smith swap deal

I feel it has, I certainly don't think the Dhims would have got 6 points from us, and I feel the defence would have been much stronger, rather than put Broadfoot in at a position he is a rookie at.

I still believe we will win the title, but it would have been a little less stressful with Hutton still in defence.

Definately. We sold Hutton and that left us with onerecognised full-back in Whittaker, who doesn't get a game at full back and Papac and Broadfoot out there and they are converted centre halfs. Papac has been excellent and Dr Kirk started off well, but as the bigger games have come in he has been found wanting. Hutton gave so much both defensively and creatively that he has been really missed.

As for Cuellar/Smith, well Alan Smith is turning into the new Robbie Fowler with a rumour going about every transfer window. I rate him, he would do well in Scotland but would value him closer to �£2million (EPL prices) and Cuellar is far to important to let go. He must be valued, realistically at about �£12-14 million.

Alan Smith's agent has rejected reports linking the Newcastle man with a move to Rangers.

Recent reports have suggested Rangers are lining up a swoop for England international Smith in the summer.

Rumours over a possible switch to Ibrox for Smith intensified over the weekend after the former Leeds and Manchester United star was spotted at at the Old Firm derby.

Smith's representative Alex Black has played down the rumours and says the player is happy at St James' Park.

Happy

"Alan has no intention of leaving Newcastle, he is happy at the club," Black told skysports.com

"All this Rangers talk has come about because he was at a couple of their games.

"It was just a coincidence as Alan got tickets for the Old Firm game and he went with a few friends to experience a Rangers v Celtic game as he is a football fan.

"Alan is not thinking about anything else but coming back fresh for next season and helping Newcastle to success."

Shades of "he would say that". No evidence one way or the other. I would doubt he would come to Rangers as there is no way he could fit into the wage structure.

I'm not sure if we even need him and you just have to look how badly Newcastle are doing and he still can't get in the team.

If Cousin stays we'll have plenty of amo up front especially as I can see Walter start to blood Fleck into the side.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck becomes one of our main players by the end of next season. He looks amazing at U19 level and bigger clubs than us play talented youngsters.

You just have to look at the likes of Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney as well as Walcott. Barcelona even played a 17 year old last night - in the CL semi.

I think Fleck is ready and I hope Walter does too.

I agree with you calscot :shock:

I dont think he would fit the wage structure and he isnt the type to be able to play the lone striker role.

He could fit in as an attacking mid as he has done before, but for the price and wage I reckon we could get a better player than Smith.

Re Fleck, is he not a midfielder ?

Re: Smith, we need to look for promising up and coming players rather than ones in the Premiership already on 60 grand a week.

Players in the mold of Cuellar but in different positions. The likes of Boyd, Naismith, Thomson and Whittaker are also obvious types of buy that we should go for.

Other older examples are Gattuso and Arteta - although we sold them too early and the latter for a stupid loss. He's worth about 10M now.

If we're going to spend, we want players who are not going to be worth a lot less in a few years, quite the opposite.

I'm sure he's a striker and he scores a hell of a lot...

Think he plays either up front or can play left/central attacking midfield. Maybe gonna need him soon on the left the way things are going.

The problem is that Walter doesn't have the best track record at blooding youngsters.