Summer 2008 Transfer Rumours Thread

But why sign him and never give him a chance? I know that they opposition weren't exactly great, but in the few games he played for us, he looked fairly skillful, wanted to play football and at the very least, deserving of another chance.

Very strange.

^ i tend to trust ws. he's a relatively fair guy. not big on using untested players, but since he went out of his way to get him, something must have happened. who knows what though.

So does this still make Gow greedy for asking for 100k to leave Rangers ? Gers paid nothing for him, get a fee of 250k for him after he just languished in the reserves. Surely if we are getting 250k profit from him then he should get a chunk of that to leave ?

If he was on, say, 7k a week then he got paid about 350k for the year just past.

If we then pay him a 100k termination fee (lets not forget that he could just sit around at Ibrox with his 7k a week - so a termination fee is mutually beneficial !) that takes the total cost for him to 450k.

We get 250k back, leaving Rangers net out of pocket of 200k, or 4k a week.

Personally in this day and age I dont think 4k a week is a bad salary for any player (from both player and club perspective).

He gets 100k and gets on with his career, Rangers get to bank 150k for a player that cost nothing and also free up the next 3 years of his wages.

Personally I think it is a win-win situation.

I don't think it's normal that players get a cut of the transfer fee as they usually get a signing on fee from their new employers. Rangers did give one to Hutton probably as the deal was so large and probably very beneficial to the cash flow of the club.

However they may see this as a bad precedent and so could be nipping it in the bud. If every player gets a cut of the transfer fee, we'll have a lot less to spend.

Rangers obviously think they are better off in the long term by keeping Gow rather than paying him off - something that SDM has intimated that he's sick of doing.

It's a complex subject but it does seem to me that players are continually looking to squeeze more and more money out of the clubs.

I'm therefore with Rangers on this.

I don't think it's normal that players get a cut of the transfer fee as they usually get a signing on fee from their new employers. Rangers did give one to Hutton probably as the deal was so large and probably very beneficial to the cash flow of the club.

However they may see this as a bad precedent and so could be nipping it in the bud. If every player gets a cut of the transfer fee, we'll have a lot less to spend.

Rangers obviously think they are better off in the long term by keeping Gow rather than paying him off - something that SDM has intimated that he's sick of doing.

It's a complex subject but it does seem to me that players are continually looking to squeeze more and more money out of the clubs.

I'm therefore with Rangers on this.

So by nipping it in the bud they potentially watch a player get 350k a year without paying him off, even if to the tune of 100k ? That would be very bad fiscal management IMO.

If SDM is sick of doing it then he should not pay over the top wages to fringe players who then won't take a step down - I understand getting players to come to the SPL is an issue but Gow was a supporter and WANTED to be at Ibrox - so who made the mistake there ?

I dont thin Gow is "squeezing" anything out of Rangers - he has a contract which pays him handsomely - he has not been given games so looks like he is surplus to rewquirements - he knows he can sit fast and make decent money - he is being deemed expendible by the club but has a contract with said club - he is being a businessman effectively - and I dont blame him.

Cardiff City are lining up a �£2.5m bid for Rangers striker Daniel Cousin. (Daily Mail/The Sun)

Rangers and Sunderland are keen on securing Maloney's services. (The Sun)

.Cardiff are set to make a �£1.75million bid for Rangers striker David Cousin.

I guess the price just went down although it might be his brother David.

BLACKBURN last night attempted to sabotage Steven Davis' move to Rangers by tabling a �£3million bid for the Fulham star.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/scottish-football/spl-football/rangers-fc/2008/07/05/blackburn-rovers-in-3m-bid-to-nick-steven-davis-from-rangers-86908-20632421/

Fulham want �£4m. If we can't offload Cousin I'm not sure we'll go the extra mile for him TBH. And if we don't, who else does WS have lined up for a creative midfielder?

Fulham want �£4m. If we can't offload Cousin I'm not sure we'll go the extra mile for him TBH. And if we don't, who else does WS have lined up for a creative midfielder?

Yep it's a strange bid right enough. If the price was 3M he'd be at Ibrox and ironically you'd think that if we offered the same as Blackburn then you'd expect both Fulham and Davis preferring Rangers.

I don't think he's worth 4M and would not be happy at Rangers paying that. I suspect that there are better players around for that sort of money and Davis was not very effective at all at the end of the season.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if Davis didn't come especially as it would free up 3M for a more creative midfielder which most of us thing we're crying out for.