the Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

We all know that the Commonwealth Games, Glasgow 2014 has been a huge windfall for the Yahoos. A purpose built stadium(latest estimate up to �£94million) immediately across the road providing lots of state of the art sports medical facilities and new training opportunities. Tremendous infrastructure and new lines of travel. A new railway station and the Glasgow Underground system being extended for the first time in 124 years. Initially, there were to be three new Underground stations, the planners eventually settled on one, Sellik Park.

Of course, wndfall does not quite describe the deliberate long term strategic planning of all those involved. Glasgow City Council, the Glasgow Marketing Bureau, Strathclyde Transport Executive, and the Board of Scottish Enterprise(Glasgow). The various characters cross-decking all these organisations is quite incredible ................... Stephen Purcell, Wullie Haughey, Paul Cooney, Alex Mosson, ........etc No, they prepared the ground, cultivated it, and will rake in the harvest on behalf of their beloved Sellik. They even had time to ensure the private joke of Rugby Sevens being played at Ibrox was an early publicity release.

The latest catering to the sensitivities of the Yahoos, is the security fencing that has just gone up around the site of the new stadium. A perimiter of over a mile stretching along London Road and down Springfield Road, several foot high wooden sheeting, all painted battleship grey. The corporate colours of the Commonwealth Games are blue and orange. We are constantly told the GFITW are mature and responsible, they have awards from both UEFA and FIFA to prove it, why couldn't the fencing be painted blue and orange?

We should be told.

I must have missed this about the stadium - are they getting Parkhead done up for games??

As the Stydome is being used for both the Opening and Closing ceremonies, I imagine it will be receiving a fair bit of titilation on the back of Commonwealth gelt. However, the stadium immediately across the road is the indoor arena being used for field and track athletics. I believe the long term intent is for Sport Scotland to move in after the Games.

Nothing wrong with improving facilities in Scotland. Many Gers stay in the east end......

I can't see parkhead getting much more than a lick of paint either.....

Hopefully the areas around Ibrox will regenerated in the near future as well....

Interesting stuff mate... Welcome to Gersnet... ;)

Interestingly the SportsScotland quango is one that GCC want to move to this new facility across the road from CP. I've also heard this isn't as likely under fat Alex as his party want to either keep such things in Edinburgh or abolish them if possible.

But, the merest shout of persecution usually has fat Alex racing to appease the RC/GCC bloc vote. I doubt this will be any different.

Will the Queen enjoy attending a stadium where her office is often ridiculed and abused? Will fat Alex be embarrassed to sit with her? Or will he be hoping for such republican hymns under his faux red kip?

I really can't understand the hoo-ha about Celtic Park getting an underground link. Doesn't it make sense to extend it out there - 60,000 people head out there every 2nd weekend! There's one to Ibrox and there shold have been one out to Porkheid a long time ago.

As the Stydome is being used for both the Opening and Closing ceremonies, I imagine it will be receiving a fair bit of titilation on the back of Commonwealth gelt. However, the stadium immediately across the road is the indoor arena being used for field and track athletics. I believe the long term intent is for Sport Scotland to move in after the Games.

Just a couple of wee corrections required to an otherwise spot on post. It is only the opening ceremony that is being held at the piggery and indoor arena is a cycling velodrome and badminton arena. It is that arena that it is well understood to be going to be sold off to the scum at a knock down price for a new facility for them.

I really can't understand the hoo-ha about Celtic Park getting an underground link. Doesn't it make sense to extend it out there - 60,000 people head out there every 2nd weekend! There's one to Ibrox and there shold have been one out to Porkheid a long time ago.

Millions of pounds being spent to benefit them?

Why Parkhead and not other areas of Glasgow?

Celtic Park has 4 train stations within a mile of it. Ibrox has 1.

It follows on from GCC selling them land for �£1. They are doing everything they can to benefit Celtic, and not doing the same for Rangers. I have a feeling that Murray is about to find out how much more they are favoured.

PS Welcome to the site, 26th of foot.

Millions of pounds being spent to benefit them?

Why Parkhead and not other areas of Glasgow?

Celtic Park has 4 train stations within a mile of it. Ibrox has 1.

It follows on from GCC selling them land for �£1. They are doing everything they can to benefit Celtic, and not doing the same for Rangers. I have a feeling that Murray is about to find out how much more they are favoured.

PS Welcome to the site, 26th of foot.

So it's only going to be Celtic that benefit from the tube?

How many other underground stations do you want? Other areas of Glasgow don'thave 60000 folk descending there every second weekend. Also, as some of the Commonwealth games is going to be there, it makes sense to provide as professional and complete a transport system as possible.