Anyone know why our beloved Carlos has not even been given a sniff at the Spain squad, never mind the team? Surely the Spanish noticed his Euro heroics? I can't see that Puyol or Marchena are obviously better. They have the edge on experience, but I've seen Puyol have some shaky moments. I know who I'd rather have defending my goal...:sigh:

Because he plays in the SPL. Quite a few in the media have commented this season how he'd definitely improve the Spain side, but until he moves on, he'll struggle to get a chance. All he can do is help to get us to the CL next season and hopefully show enough to get a call-up for a B game or friendly and then take it from there.

Because Puyol and Marchena are the better players and because they play against better opposition than Cuellar does every week.

Did you see Marchena tonight v Sweden? He gave away a really clumsy foul against I think Elmander that Cuellar would not have done in a month of Sundays. And the guy who came on for Puyol? 'nuff said.

Because he plays in the SPL. Quite a few in the media have commented this season how he'd definitely improve the Spain side, but until he moves on, he'll struggle to get a chance. All he can do is help to get us to the CL next season and hopefully show enough to get a call-up for a B game or friendly and then take it from there.

Got it in one!

Spain's loss is Rangers gain. Obviously Carlos would like to play for his country but with him getting a full summer of rest he will be back in tip top condition for next season.

It was the same with Klos and Albertz - both should have been in the German team at the time but didnt due to playing in the SPL.

would we want him playing for spain, gaining more interest from bigger clubs

Probably not right enough, but it did baffle me when you heard the commentator saying that there were something like 6 players playing for Valencia in the Spanish squad including the boy that replaced Puyol. How Cuellar doesn't get in before some of them is a puzzler. Having said that if he had been picked that would have been more games and no summer rest for the big man

As much as we all admire King Carlos I just don't think he's good enough with his distribution to get into the Spain squad. He is a no-nonsense defender though if they do need him but that's maybe why.

As much as we all admire King Carlos I just don't think he's good enough with his distribution to get into the Spain squad. He is a no-nonsense defender though if they do need him but that's maybe why.

Agreed, his forward going football is not good enough for the Spanish team.

Still potentially one of Rangers best defenders ever. He will have to do it over more seasons though to get himself into the hall of fame.