Ive wanted Fowler for the last 5 years or so, I still think on his day he was the best finisher I've seen. He could probably still do that here for us as he seems to react to the fans.

At the moment though, Boyd would score more. As much as Ive always liked Fowler, I dont remember too much workrate, he just had the knack of putting the ball in the net.......sound familiar?

Ive wanted Fowler for as long as I can remember as well. If anyone was ever going to be a new McCoist it would have been Fowler but now he is too old although would probably still get double figures for us.

Easily in the top 3 best finishers ive seen in the Premier League, the other 2 being Shearer and Scholes. Eduardo reminds me of him with his finishing.

Shearer had a differnt game to Fowler,IMO, Shearer was a lort more strength butstill fantastic. Fowler, give him the ball anywhere within 25 yrds and he would test the keeper.

For whatever reason, and there have been many, he wasted a great talent. (I do think Liverpool sold him far too early cos of a mixture of off-field publicity and the emergence of Owen(who was not as good))

• 2 weeks later...

Crouch away to Pompey for �£11m an �£70k a week. What a waste!!!

Liverpool also still haggling with Villa for Barry, seems they wont move from �£13.5m and Finnan to exceed the �£15m mark.

Crouch away to Pompey for �£11m an �£70k a week. What a waste!!!

Liverpool also still haggling with Villa for Barry, seems they wont move from �£13.5m and Finnan to exceed the �£15m mark.

Do Villa need an RB ?

I think that is a good deal for Pompey getting Crouch for 11 mill although his wages are huge. Unreal ! Just shows how SKY money has widened the gap when teams like Pompey can pay almost 3 times what our top earner gets !

Not sure if Villa need one, never really taken much interest in them, but Liverpool have stregthened in both full back positions and are well covered in CB.

�£11m for Crouch is just stupidity, never rated the guy and never will. Certainly not good enough to wear a Liverpool top!

Re the wages down South to here, it's been that way for a long time and is why I cant understand some peoplle's logic that we arent bringing in the same players as Laudrup, Gazza etc. We're not in that position to compete anymore.

Fowler's apparently signed for one of those rich Arabian teams.

Fowler set for second year despite Al-Ahli interest

By Chris O'Brien - 07/07/2008 15:43

Robbie Fowler is on the verge of signing on for another year at Ninian Park - despite eleventh-hour interest from Dubai club Al-Ahli. The 33-year-old had a disappointing first-year with City but is on the verge of penning a reduced terms deal with the Cup finalists.

Fowler's family have settled in well to life in the Welsh capital and its therefore no surprise to see the veteran keen for a second year with the club.

His first season with City was hampered by a series of injuries and fitness concerns. The former England star netted just six goals and proved a mammoth drain on the club's finances.

However, Dave Jones is determined to salvage the signing and is ready to give Fowler a prominent role in first-team affairs next season. It is understood that Fowler's basic wage has been reduced - but he can make the cuts up through a 'pay as you play basis'.

Fowler's last first-team action was in December 2007 as he hobbled his way through a 1-0 defeat at Bristol City. He's stuck on a five-game goal drought and many felt he'd played his last game for the club.

A lot depends on the player's determination as well, of course, as his fitness. At the age of 33, he could still be a success at Championship level. However, the player is already one of the wealthiest men of his age in the country following some careful business on the property ladder. Will his heart be in the Football League fight?

Read a while back he was signing another deal with Cardiff and haven't found anything that says he is moving to Dubai other than interest shown.

Still one of my favourite stikers I've ever seen.

I dont believe Crouch is getting 70k a week. A higher power must be shining on him or something becuase for him to get that is ridiculous.

The 11 million price tag is probably 50% too high but the wages are crazy.