Thomas Buffel Leaves - Official

Its one of those things that hasn't worked out for one reason or another and we'll never know why. I guess why people are pleased he's gone is that if we weren't going to play him, then it was an awful waste of wages. We could argue forever about whether he ever showed his true potential or even if he was given a fair chance to do so, but like some other players in recent times, he's not been able to break in to the team really, so we just have to accept that.

BTW, I don't understand the payment thing. If we were due �£400,000 when he played x number of games, why was he eligible for cup games as usually that sort of clause just applies to all games? Is it just one of those rumours which has been around for so long that its accepted as fact?

Its one of those things that hasn't worked out for one reason or another and we'll never know why. I guess why people are pleased he's gone is that if we weren't going to play him, then it was an awful waste of wages. We could argue forever about whether he ever showed his true potential or even if he was given a fair chance to do so, but like some other players in recent times, he's not been able to break in to the team really, so we just have to accept that.

BTW, I don't understand the payment thing. If we were due �£400,000 when he played x number of games, why was he eligible for cup games as usually that sort of clause just applies to all games? Is it just one of those rumours which has been around for so long that its accepted as fact?

I am pretty sure it was based on league games.

I am pretty sure it was based on league games.

Just seems like a really strange thing to have.

Even still, if Buffel was rated by any of the management teams, I'm sure the money would have been found.

Just seems like a really strange thing to have.

Even still, if Buffel was rated by any of the management teams, I'm sure the money would have been found.

exactly, he wasn't so he didn't get played and we've now got rid, best all round.........

Have to agree that it's best for him to leave and free up the wages and place in the squad for a player who will actually get a game. Buffel is a very skillful player. The standout game for me has to be against Inter Milan at Ibrox in the CL. While BF was making f*cked up passbacks and stoating about like a headless chicken, TB was running riot and setting up chances at goal. Great player who I wish the best of luck. No doubt if Belgium qualify for the World Cup he'll be there to rub it in a la Sionko. Basically though, it's funny I should mention him because, add-ons aside, it's a similar situation. Good player ...on good wages ...doesn't fit in ...could have been a legend ...but wasn't ...best get rid.

That is totally untrue Cal. Buffel pleaded to be released in January saying why are Rangers paying my wages if they won't play me. If Rangers would have freed him in January he would have joined Hannover. The transfer fee rangers were asking for at that time plus his wages stopped the deal from happening.

Sorry mate but you have got your facts wrong in this one.

If I got the facts wrong, then I hold my hands up. I just based my opinion on how I interpret the media.

Unwanted players like Buffel and Gow lose all my sympathy when they suddenly seem difficult to deal with when clubs come calling to give them first team football.

Gow allegedly wanted a 6 figure pay off from Rangers which you may think reasonable until you consider that money effectively comes out the pockets of your average fan, some of whom are on minimum wage or unemployed.

While I can understand most people wanting more money or to not take a pay cut, I think football has become horrendously greedy, and if a player holds a club to ransom, then while he's only looking after himself, he's doing it at the expense of the fans and I therefore don't have to like them.

There are many fringe players who have left in a far more dignified fashion - and some should now look to Carlos Cuellar to see how a true gentleman acts.

From my memory (which may be clouded) Buffel has been unwanted and unrated for three years now, by THREE different managers and has received about 2.5M in wages for little contribution to the team - while having chances to leave and restart his career.

I think the management have made big mistakes on this but it doesn't change my impression that Buffel has seemed very difficult to deal with which then culminated in him becoming injured and impossible to sell.

I think when a situation like that happens, there is just no way back into the team with the final nail coming from an add-on payment for so many league appearances.

^ i totally disagree. it's not his fault he was signed and given a good contract; he's under no obligation to give up what he is owed contractually because of some vague notion of it not being nice for the fans. thats ridiculous. it would have been better for the fans if ws had tried to get any use out of the money he spent on him.

Buffel could have also stayed on his bum for another year and raked in another 900.000 pounds but chose to take a paycut to get first team football.

I remember a Dutch guy Winston Bogarde who went from Barcelona to Chelsea played a few games(4 i think) and sat on his arse for the rest of his 4 year contract. In the end up he didn't even train and was heavier than me.

That is a money shark not Buffel imo.

Reply to Barry ^ Who says it has to be so objective? If someone tries to make more more money out of me than I'd like to pay, just because he's morally entitled to do it, doesn't mean I have to like it - or like him.

Please explain how is that ridiculous?

Celtic were perfectly entitled to request a postponement for a game and the SPL were under no obligation to extend the league, yet they have been castigated here - which I think is fair.

And also please explain why it's ok for a player to fight for more money while it seems a crime if Rangers try to save money?

Seems to me that some people are confused about whose side they are on... Both sides are legit but it looks different from each point of view.

I'm on the side of Rangers FC and I want the fans money to be spent well and so I'm against players trying to squeeze out every penny they can get. Some people here, seem to me, to be on the opposite side. That is their right, but from my point of view, it all seems very strange.

Buffel could have also stayed on his bum for another year and raked in another 900.000 pounds but chose to take a paycut to get first team football.

Outstanding point Pete! I think that closes the argument about him being a money shark and not wanting to get back into first team football. For me, Buffel giving all in reserve midweek games showed that he was wanted back in the first team.

Id like to know what he is earning now compared to 17k.