http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/03/SOCCER_Rangers.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

Veteran defenders Christian Dailly and David Weir have both signed new deals with Rangers.

The Scottish pair have each committed to staying at Ibrox for another year after impressing last season.

Dailly, 34, quickly adapted to life at Rangers after joining on a short-term deal from West Ham in January, while Weir, 38, was brought to Glasgow by manager Walter Smith shortly after his own return to the club 18 months ago.

Weir insists he was always going to extend his stay after discovering that a new offer was on the table.

He said: "I'm delighted, I've enjoyed every minute since I've been up here.

"Football-wise there wasn't any decision to make.

"As soon as the manager said he wanted me to stay for another year, I was delighted.

"I didn't think I'd be here for two-and-a-half years.

"In football you can't afford to look that far ahead, especially at my age.

"So initially it was just a short-term deal but I'm delighted now that it has stretched and stretched."

Weir's partnership with Carlos Cuellar in the heart of the defence was crucial to Rangers' success last season, as they won the Scottish Cup and CIS Insurance Cup and narrowly missed out on the UEFA Cup and Clydesdale Bank Premier League trophies.

The former Everton man played a total of 68 games for both club and country in what proved to be an epic campaign for the veteran centre-half.

Weir is now hoping to have a significant part to play when Rangers' new season gets under way with a Champions League qualifier against Santa Coloma or FBK Kaunas later this month.

He told Rangers' website: "You want to play every game. As a player you want to be in the team week-in, week-out.

"I obviously want to be involved and that will be my aim. But it's up to me to try to do that."

I think having both players available next season is a boost. I wouldnt put them in as first picks as Weir will tire again and Dailly is a defensive player where Thomson and Ferguson will be ahead of him in midfield.

But I like Dailly at times and he can pop up with the odd goal so Im glad he stays on. Both will be very valuable squad players.

While Wier had a good season, his flaws are becoming more apparent with age and although I'm older than him, I'd like to see us start play someone younger and faster, with better distribution. Wier will make a great squad player but if we are to move up a level, we need a changing of the guard. Another Carlos would be immense but highly unlikely. Perhaps we need to send him to Aberdeen to be cloned...

Dailly, I also welcome as a squad player, although I'd also like to add more quality to the central midfield ahead of him in the pecking order. In fact I'd like someone of high enough quality to change the guard there too- and replace Bazza to help us move up a level. Unfortunately it just won't happen yet.

Anyway, I think it's good to keep some continuity of consistent performers in the squad, while bringing in some decent new blood. We obviously had a winning mentality last season that's been missing for a while.

I am praying we sign a good CH but it seems unlikely now. I don't have much faith in Webster ever being fit. I hated the way we played with Weir at the back so i am not really that happy he has re-signed. Daily looked better in midfield than at the back but again i would have proffered a young terrier in the midfield rather than an old snail.

I think having both players available next season is a boost. I wouldnt put them in as first picks as Weir will tire again and Dailly is a defensive player where Thomson and Ferguson will be ahead of him in midfield.

But I like Dailly at times and he can pop up with the odd goal so Im glad he stays on. Both will be very valuable squad players.

Very dependable squad players IMO. If Weir in particular was a squad player last year rather than first teamer then we could well have lifted the SPL - he was a first teamer and at his age to play 60 games in a season is incredible.

If we had a younger partner for Cuellar and Weir as back-up that would do me.

I am by no means saying that losing the SPL was Weir's fault - my main point is that even with a big squad last year we didn't really have anyone WS was comfortable using instead of players like Weir. If Weir was back-up then you know you will get a dependable player who can play 10-20 games a year who will allow your main CB (same goes for other positions) to get some much needed rest.

If Weir was back-up then you know you will get a dependable player who can play 10-20 games a year who will allow your main CB (same goes for other positions) to get some much needed rest.

The trouble is that if you've got senior citizens in your squad you need to keep them match-fit and motivated otherwise they're not much use as they'll struggle to find form and keep free of injury.

Having said that, it is a testament to the physical fitness of both Weir and Dailly that they could be left out in the cold for so long down south and then come in and do a job for us over so many games. I'm glad they're still with us.