So How Well Did We Really Do Last Season?

Guest Arnold
Simply because they challenged not just for the SPL but on all fronts to the last. Simply because it was the 1st Rangers European final which I had the privilege of witnessing. Simply because, against the odds we did all of this until the last day ...picking up a 2nd trophy in the process. Simply because we were the best.

But we weren't in the two competitions that really mattered. I don't like admitting it and it isn't comfortable but it's the truth. A successful season is one where we clearly are the best.

The season was a rollercoaster but if you ultimately finish empty handed then you can't stake claim to it being a successful campaign. Diddy clubs can do that where the height of their achievements is a cup run or a one-off game. We're supposed to be miles above that.

But we weren't in the two competitions that really mattered. I don't like admitting it and it isn't comfortable but it's the truth. A successful season is one where we clearly are the best.

The season was a rollercoaster but if you ultimately finish empty handed then you can't stake claim to it being a successful campaign. Diddy clubs can do that where the height of their achievements is a cup run or a one-off game. We're supposed to be miles above that.

OK, so what you're saying is that you want us to WIN both the UEFA (or preferably the CL) and the SPL next season ...otherwise it can be deemed as a FAILURE??

Seriously though, check this out:

http://www.iffhs.de/?10f42e00fa2d17f73702fa3016e23c17f7370eff3702bb1c2bbb6f28f53512

If THAT doesn't represent 'success' for us, then I really don't know what will.

Guest Arnold
OK, so what you're saying is that you want us to WIN both the UEFA (or preferably the CL) and the SPL next season ...otherwise it can be deemed as a FAILURE??

I want the league title at the very least.

If THAT doesn't represent 'success' for us, then I really don't know what will.

Trophies. Not lists of clubs or rankings, I want trophies.

Trophies. Not lists of clubs or rankings, I want trophies.

So you don't feel the least bit of pride in being classed as the 4th best team in the world right now? Do statistics speak the truth? Personally, I think it depends on how they are formed and IMO having looked into the system on which those IFFHS are based, I find it to be much fairer than the Nationalistic, 5-year run system on which the UEFA co-efficients and rankings are based.

http://www.iffhs.de/?bc83ccac3be8e00390b02fc5fdcdc3bfcdc0aec70aeed116

As for trophies, we got 2 of those last season. It might seem like a consolation prize, but it's still 2 trophies.

Would I prefer just the one next season if it was the SPL? Probably ...but what about the following season? Just think back to the 97/98 season for a moment. I can remember us being on the verge of 10-in-a-row and WS announcing he'd be stepping down. The majority of us appreciated what he'd done for the club. However, at the same time we'd grown tired of underachieving in Europe and felt a change was overdue.

If you look back to the start of last season, I'm sure you'd find there were plenty of fans who'd given up all hope of success on the European front because WS was back at the helm. So essentially, whilst alleviating any doubts we all had of his ability on the European stage (OK, I'm not a fan of 4-5-1, but when played well it's f**king lethal, not to mention commonplace in the modern game) he also managed to do what he promised us all he said he would and 'challenged' for the SPL.

So would you at least pay the gaffer the courtesy of acknowledging that HE was a success last season??

You could however argue that none of this matters and as long as we're winning the SPL that we're guaranteed a crack at the CL. As long as we're winning the SPL, it doesn't matter how poorly we do in Europe, because we'll get a share of the pot just for taking part. I however believe that we, as one of the oldest and greatest clubs in the world, owe it to ourselves to continue to punch above our weight on the European stage and keep the name of Rangers Football Club up their with the best of them. So basically what I'm saying is that on this front I feel we're headed in the right direction and that last season was a huge step forward.

This is a great point. There is so many comments about just making it into the CL is the purpose at times. IMO id rather 1 great season and win the thing than compete in it every year to extent. Obviously the cash situation and difference between the top leagues and the others has an effect on this where we simply need the cash more than anything else.

It really depends on how you look at it last year. From a gradual stage process then last season was certainly a success. We got back to challenging domestically and won trophies again.

But from another point of view it was thrown away. And Walters reluctance to use certain players and tactics could even have cost us the treble or quadriple.

On a percentage scale (Calscot is probably the one to work out the facts here) then if we progress the same amount this season then Im sure it will make us Champions this time next year.

However a few signings with quality and pressence is definatly required before the start of the season or we may see us dropping points in stupid games again on a regular basis.

So you don't feel the least bit of pride in being classed as the 4th best team in the world right now? Do statistics speak the truth? Personally, I think it depends on how they are formed and IMO having looked into the system on which those IFFHS are based, I find it to be much fairer than the Nationalistic, 5-year run system on which the UEFA co-efficients and rankings are based.

As for trophies, we got 2 of those last season. It might seem like a consolation prize, but it's still 2 trophies.

Would I prefer just the one next season if it was the SPL? Probably ...but what about the following season? Just think back to the 97/98 season for a moment. I can remember us being on the verge of 10-in-a-row and WS announcing he'd be stepping down. The majority of us appreciated what he'd done for the club. However, at the same time we'd grown tired of underachieving in Europe and felt a change was overdue.

If you look back to the start of last season, I'm sure you'd find there were plenty of fans who'd given up all hope of success on the European front because WS was back at the helm. So essentially, whilst alleviating any doubts we all had of his ability on the European stage (OK, I'm not a fan of 4-5-1, but when played well it's f**king lethal, not to mention commonplace in the modern game) he also managed to do what he promised us all he said he would and 'challenged' for the SPL.

So would you at least pay the gaffer the courtesy of acknowledging that HE was a success last season??

First of all let me commend Cammy for the post, and Arnold and UCF for the discussion after it.It led to a lot of good reading.:thup:

I will admit this year was a huge disappointment to me because we were like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights. We had the world in our fingers and dropped it for a celtic home run We died after Barcelona in my eyes. I am not a great Walter Smith fan as i think will be clear to everyone by now. Walter is so set in his way's that flexibility is a swear word for him. Walter makes the same mistakes time after time. He will not leave his comfort zone.

When our 4-5-1 system wasn't working he changed it in the next game, not at the moment a change was needed. I hope i am wrong in this but i see the signing of Davie Weir and Christian Daily as a step backwards. They were crap last year why are they going to be any better this year. Rangers should have players who can build from the back and not players who hoof it and sit on their own 18 yard line. Whith the signings up until now, unless Lafferty pulls off his shirt to reveal a Superman shirt, i really fear for the coming season. Davy Weir was an Everton reserve player. I doubt if he would get a game for their reserves today. Pessimistic! Probably! Walter smith does that to me.

Guest Arnold

I have to be very quick here as I'm about to leave for work. Apologies.

Looking back to the start of a season is pointless since your goals and hopes for the campaign evolve over time. When the CL group was draw, opinion seemed split between us not having a chance and finishing in the UEFA spot yet after three games I would imagine everyone hoped for and expected CL progress.

My point remains, however, and you could have us sitting as the number one club in the world due to stats but if the trophy cabinet is empty then who cares? People don't look at that list and say Rangers are great. People look at what we won and judge us on that. I've seen people get all excited because their club is high up the annual Money League but if they didn't win anything that season then their happiness is entirely unjustified.

Walter Smith did a great job, especially given the circumstances but that doesn't mean it was a success. It means he did a great job. Again, success is winning things.

great post cammy and i agree our season was a failure and we bottled it in the run in...

So far this season we have signed donkeys in miller and lafferty lets hope WS has something up his sleeve otherwise we could be in real bother..

I have to say the manner in which we reached the Uefa cup final was a disgrace. The ultra defensive policy of walter smith left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and did little to enhance the reputation of Rangers Football club in Europe.

I was embarrassed to watch our performances at times and feel we have become a laughing stock on the European scene.

As for the league i feel the blame again lies with walter smith. his tactics and team selection in the run up to the league where mystifying and baffling at the best of times.

His biggest blunder of all? Sticking by Daniel Cousin, a player who doesnt want to play for the club and guys like broadfoot and whittaker who just arent up to ther job.

for the first time in my life i find myself cringing at the thought of the new football season. last year was by far the worst Rangers team i have ever watched in my lifetime. No flair, no guile and a severe lack of imagination. Just pile every one up on our 18 yard line, hoof the ball up the park and hope that our lone striker can latch onto something.

Call me old fashioned but i expect better from any Rangers team that I go to see. And i expect to entertained as well. Walter though has left me and others like me behind and adopted a win at all costs atitude. the only problem with his tactics though are they are only good if we win. lose and you look like a bunch of nobdies. I am sick to the teeth of watching lesser teams outplay us week in week out. Its just not bloody good enough.

Its the manner in which you win that makes you a good football team not the fact that you win. And as Bill struth said, "our success you will agree is achieved by skill"

Funily enough we lost the league and uefa cup final and there wasnt a single bit of skill in sight.

kinda tells you something.

if walter doesnt win the league this season he has to walk. He has been here 18 months and in my eyes is only a couple of central defenders better than Leguen. the quality of football is no better, in fact its worse.

I was embarrassed to watch our performances at times and feel we have become a laughing stock on the European scene.

i cant stand this. football is about winning games. fuck europe if they think we are a laughing stock - it was us who got the final. and it was nowhere near as bad as some people make out - we had some remarkable performances in that european run.

winning is all that matters.