So How Well Did We Really Do Last Season?

When was the last time we played well and lost, the last time after a defeat you thought 'fuck, we played well there so there's positives to take from the game'?

Not since the DA era.

When was the last time we played well and lost, the last time after a defeat you thought 'fuck, we played well there so there's positives to take from the game'?

Not since the DA era.

The funny thing is after a defeat managers have always said," Well i think we learned something today". When the hell are we going to put all that knowledge to use.:brick:

Not since the DA era.

what's that got to do with anything? in a league like the spl, if we play at all well, the chances are we'll win. and we did win most of the time, even without playing well. a glorious defeat is just a defeat.

On the winning and losing thing Im totally with Barry here. Its not our job to impress the rest of Europe by any means - buggar that!!!

But at the same time Id like WS to try and play more attacking football for me and the rest of the Rangers fans plus 2 reasons besides the obvious ones

1) I think if we upped our game especially domestically we would have far too much for any other team to cope

2) Teams dont seem to fear coming to Ibrox or playing Rangers anymore, they actually relish it and have a go at us now. We need to install a fear factor back into them like WS first era and DA reign.

what's that got to do with anything? in a league like the spl, if we play at all well, the chances are we'll win. and we did win most of the time, even without playing well. a glorious defeat is just a defeat.

Quite a lot I feel.

I'm of the opinion that winning isn't all that matters. Maybe I need to rid the DA era from my memory and start a fresh.

perhaps man. these are changed times.

i think what's made last season so frustrating is the memory of the (tired) football we were playing towards the end. and also the fact that despite our better players being clearly knackered, walter still chose to field them. with a bit more energy from backup-type players we could have won the league - as our subs tend still to be as good as spl teams.

on the other hand, i watched a game on rangers tv a while ago, showing a christmas-time game with either dundee utd, or aberdeen, and there was passing, and moving, and players running into space. these are the better aspects of the game, and it's hard not to see them very often through the course of a season.

i'm not saying i wouldnt like to see us actually getting the ball down and playing a bit, but aesthetics are less important than results. unfortunately for walter, all hte poor football we played wont quickly be forgotten as it would have been if we'd either won the uefa cup or league.

As I instigated this discussion, let me clear a few things up from my original post.

Getting to the UEFA Cup Final was a wonderful achievement and we totally deserved to be there. We played to our strenghts and it's up to the opposition to break us down. In fact, I would say that the away leg against Sporting rates as one of the best European performances that I have witnessed Rangers achieveing (as Did Lyon away in the CL).

Domestically, we ran out of steam - we did all the hard work early on in the season that blew it big style.

In fear of repeating myself, 2nd best isn't good enough for The Rangers. Too many fans have fallen into The Mints downsizing of ambitions. IMO The Rangers should be winning the SPL title more seasons that not and should still be able to make an impact in Europe - that shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

Great debate BTW :rfc:

Cammy F

I htink you should have made that point earlier Cammy as all it came across as was anti-Gers.

I disagree with a lot of your other original points but cant be bothered going in to them as they are the the same ones you bring up time an time again.

I htink you should have made that point earlier Cammy as all it came across as was anti-Gers.

I disagree with a lot of your other original points but cant be bothered going in to them as they are the the same ones you bring up time an time again.

Come on Jon - don't think expecting Rangers to win the SPL title from the position we were in can be equated to 'anti-Gers'. We handed the title to Celtc its as simple as that.

Are you happy to settle for 2nd best in a two horse race? Apart from 2 last day title successes, we'd be staring down Celtc going for 7 in a row - thats a terrible thought.

Cammy F

Come on Jon - don't think expecting Rangers to win the SPL title from the position we were in can be equated to 'anti-Gers'. We handed the title to Celtc its as simple as that.

Are you happy to settle for 2nd best in a two horse race? Apart from 2 last day title successes, we'd be staring down Celtc going for 7 in a row - thats a terrible thought.

Cammy F

Totally true and frightening. I suppose looking at it that way though Cammy then if you are giving celtic the benefit of being the better team when we stole the league you then have to give us the benefit of being the better team in total this year. I know it wins no prizes but it does give a positive tint to it,