I think most of us presumed that we had a good enough squad to beat Kaunas and it does makes some sense to try and get the players you really want rather than panic buy - which will not guarantee you a better performance in any way.

It may backfire but it was obviously a calculated risk. Whether it was right to take it will be determined by tomorrow's result.

PS I watched the second half of the first Kaunas game and it wasn't actually that bad a performance.

We dominated and created quite a few chances.

However, the main problem seemed to be that we didn't quite have the sharpness and cohesion necessary to get the ball in the net, coupled with some good/lucky defending and goalkeeping.

Too many times promising attacks broke down because the final ball wasn't quite good enough or a player quick enough to take advantage.

I don't know if a new midfielder would have changed that pattern.

OK, we now know where your coming from. Walter can obviously do nothing right in your eyes... Anything you say about him from now on is obviously tainted by that agenda.

As are you by yours. Perhaps you need to calm down a little. I'm doing what people do on football forums - venting opinions - it's not personal and it's not aimed at you. I manage to read your opinions and those of other posters without getting hot under the collar. To refer to me as "tainted" isn't really very nice at all but I'll limit my response to asking you simply to maintain a little more composure in future.

I didn't think I was being all that strong and definitely not hot under the collar, but if you feel I overstepped the mark then I apologise. Maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully.

You've been doing a lot of anti-Smith ranting on here which to me hasn't made much sense. But it now looks to me like you just don't like Smith and so you have it in for him and will slag him off no matter what he does.

When you will only see things so immovably one way, then how will your arguments ever be seen to be fair? That is what I meant by "tainted".

This may be a place for ranting but it gets very tiresome when a personal agenda is constantly vented. I would rather have more open minded discussion, which is what I personally thought the site is for.

BTW I'm not particularly pro-Smith (which you obviously haven't surmised) and I didn't think he was the best man for the job when he came. But to me, he's done a pretty good job in the circumstances and I don't think anyone deserves to be sacked or vilified when they have performed reasonably well.

I think this is his make or break season but until the team are consistently punching well below their weight, I think he deserves a chance rather than constant sniping.

I will judge Walter on his results, and so far, overall, they have not been bad especially considering the mess we were in beforehand. If he fails badly this season and shows he can't take the team forward then I too, will also want him to go.

I didn't think I was being all that strong and definitely not hot under the collar, but if you feel I overstepped the mark then I apologise. Maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully.

You've been doing a lot of anti-Smith ranting on here which to me hasn't made much sense. But it now looks to me like you just don't like Smith and so you have it in for him and will slag him off no matter what he does.

When you will only see things so immovably one way, then how will your arguments ever be seen to be fair? That is what I meant by "tainted".

This may be a place for ranting but it gets very tiresome when a personal agenda is constantly vented. I would rather have more open minded discussion, which is what I personally thought the site is for.

BTW I'm not particularly pro-Smith (which you obviously haven't surmised) and I didn't think he was the best man for the job when he came. But to me, he's done a pretty good job in the circumstances and I don't think anyone deserves to be sacked or vilified when they have performed reasonably well.

I think this is his make or break season but until the team are consistently punching well below their weight, I think he deserves a chance rather than constant sniping.

I will judge Walter on his results, and so far, overall, they have not been bad especially considering the mess we were in beforehand. If he fails badly this season and shows he can't take the team forward then I too, will also want him to go.

The only thing I will add is that no one forces you to read anything on here. By happy arrangement, each of my posts bears my username at the top of it. Since you find it so irritating to read my opinions, I recommend you just refuse to read anything I post. That way, you won't have to overstep the mark with unsavoury language again.

Did you feel like that when Nacho scored that penalty against Fiorentina?:admin:

the uefa cup run was nothing more than an amazing fluke. we got to the final on our hands and knees playing a brand of football that was nothing short of disgraceful.

now it is a weight around our necks and gives walter smith the justification to continue to bore us to death ith his clueless tactics and team selections.

when i started this post it wasnt a knee jerk reaction to the liverpool game. ive been well suspect of smith for months now and my fears are comming to fruition.

theres nothing id like to do better than eat a couple of platefuls of humble pie where smith is concerned but i just dont see him taking us anywhere (unless we get a huge slice of luck like last season) this time round with the squad of players we have.

walter i hope you prove me wrong mate but i wont be betting on money on you.

I think most of us presumed that we had a good enough squad to beat Kaunas and it does makes some sense to try and get the players you really want rather than panic buy - which will not guarantee you a better performance in any way.

It may backfire but it was obviously a calculated risk. Whether it was right to take it will be determined by tomorrow's result.

Calscot if buying an attacking midfielder is going to be a panic buy then Smith and our scouting Staff should walk away now as it has been a problem position for years. If our technical staff don't know what is going on and who or what they need then it is a sad state of affairs. Smith seems to think attacking football is having 4 strikers on the bench.:sigh:

the uefa cup run was nothing more than an amazing fluke. we got to the final on our hands and knees playing a brand of football that was nothing short of disgraceful.

Agree.

I watched away games in Barcelona, Athens, Florence and Manchester last season and while we could only play the defensive system with the players we had, it was cringeworthy watching us getting hammered, and Europe watching us getting hammered.

While i would never give up the memories of getting to Manchester, I hated the fact that we were slated from all sides for our style of football and didnt get the recognition we should have and that the rattlers did when they played Porto.

So....

A new season and money to spend (never a strong point of WS)

We have watched and been bored (IMO) by Rangers teams style of play since the money problems and under McLeish. A chance for change you would think.

But we find ourselves 4 signings in, overstocked in Defence and Up front (with none who take us "up a level") and 3 weeks from transfer deadline.

This is my worry that WS is hanging off till the last few days of the window in an attempt to get any "creative" players(s) on the cheap, with my guess that Davies will be the only one.

WS has already stated that the fans should remember that Barry will be back in 3 months, worryingly this suggests to me that he has no intention of buying said flair players.

Is spending money still THAT big an issue, or are we just blind on who to go for in the world transfer market? If that is the case, then internally the scouting network is shockingly bad. English Championship players play there for a reason.

As much as i hate to criticise WS, he really is setting himself up for a big fall, insisting on buying a player who the majority of the fans do not want, letting our most creative player IMO (Buffel) leave for nowt and p*ssing about negotiating over 1million quid for Steve Davies.

Like every true fan, i hope i am wrong, but can anyone see us winning the league this year over a p*ss poor Sellic team?

Unless the form dramatically changes or inspired signings are made, I for one will be a very annoyed Copeland Road bear by September

All Of You Who Said Get Rid Of Smith Make Me Sick And You Need To Take A Reality Check. Yes The Quality Of Football Played Last Year Was Poor But It Took Us To A European Final How Many Honest Bluenoses Would Have Said This Was Going To Happen. He Ended A 3 Year Trophy Drought By Winning 2 Cups, And While We Just Missed Out On The League He Has Made A Substantial And Vast Change To Us In The Space Of 18 Month. While The Signings This Summer Havnt Wowed Me Im Still Sure Walter And Ally Are The Men For The Job. I Would Rather Sit At Ibrox And Watch A Boring Team Winning Than Going And Watching An Exciting Team Getting Humped!

All Of You Who Said Get Rid Of Smith Make Me Sick And You Need To Take A Reality Check. Yes The Quality Of Football Played Last Year Was Poor But It Took Us To A European Final How Many Honest Bluenoses Would Have Said This Was Going To Happen. He Ended A 3 Year Trophy Drought By Winning 2 Cups, And While We Just Missed Out On The League He Has Made A Substantial And Vast Change To Us In The Space Of 18 Month. While The Signings This Summer Havnt Wowed Me Im Still Sure Walter And Ally Are The Men For The Job. I Would Rather Sit At Ibrox And Watch A Boring Team Winning Than Going And Watching An Exciting Team Getting Humped!

Why do you start every word with a capital ?