Nope - because if we really wanted him, we could have got him for nothing next year at end of his contract.

I think that seems likely to be the game we were playing. Celtic have paid a ton of money for someone with 10 months left on his contract. Doesn't seem very clever to me and the motivation could be to get one over on us.

However, if your rival beats you in an auction with a huge bid that you would never pay, does he really win?

Would he have been fit enough / made much of a difference in the qualifier, who knows?

�£2.5m or �£3m depending on who your believe, for a Championship defender thats in the last year of his contract?

Too much if you ask me, as with broonaldo4 if they want to pay over the odds then let them. I'd rather we played hard-ball and walked away from some signings than be ripped off and pay over the odds.

(hopefully we have other options though)

Funny how Brown wasn't even a success either - and Riordan too. Pressley hasn't been great either. The two successes they have had are MacD and Hartson - although the latter was actually rejected by Rangers.

I think that seems likely to be the game we were playing. Celtic have paid a ton of money for someone with 10 months left on his contract. Doesn't seem very clever to me and the motivation could be to get one over on us.

However, if your rival beats you in an auction with a huge bid that you would never pay, does he really win?

Exactly, Loovens also said he had the choice to go to both teams but we never reached or wouldn't pay their valuation for him so how can he say that? The headline I saw in today's sun is very poor and tacky journalism IMO.

Agreed. They have paid 2.5-3 mill for a player simply to stop us getting him. More fool them when he would be available next year for nothing.

Re your auction synopsis it depends. If that said player ultimately is successful or gets sold on for huge profit then yes they did win. A calculated risk if you will.

Funny how Brown wasn't even a success either - and Riordan too. Pressley hasn't been great either. The two successes they have had are MacD and Hartson - although the latter was actually rejected by Rangers.

The tim fans I've spoke to are blaming his sisters sad death on his bad form. :sleep:

He was woeful last season and his 2nd touch is a tackle.......

Neither do their fans if you take a quick glimpse at their sites/forums...

That is usually a sign that you are getting a good player when the fans dont want to lose one. And especially an EPL player too - fingers crossed.

In thinking about this..... someone correct me if I am wrong... but when we were linked a few weeks ago with Mendes (I believe Redknapp had said he spoke to WS and Mendes was mentioned) did WS not flat out deny he was interested in Mendes ?

Lies from WS or simply trying to prevent another club from stealing a march on him ?