Guest modman

On the 16 August 2008, Edu flew into Glasgow to hold talks with Rangers after a fee of �£2.7 million ($5,025,000) was agreed with the MLS who hold his registration.

Rangers will now need to go through the process of obtaining a work permit for Edu before he can sign. There is a tribrunal planned for Tuesday, August 19th which will decide if the permit will be granted or not.

Guest modman

Edu was drafted by Toronto FC as the first overall pick of the 2007 MLS SuperDraft. He made his MLS debut on 25 April 2007 verse Kansas City and scored his first professional goal in the 75th minute of a game against Chicago Fire on 12 May. During that first season he made 25 appearances in MLS and scored four goals.

He also won the 2007 MLS Rookie of the Year award in November 7, 2007, as voted for by fellow players, coaches, general managers and reporters from the MLS.

by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS have clinched a deal to sign exciting US international Maurice Edu on a five year contract, subject to a work permit.

The Light Blues have agreed personal terms with the 22-year-old midfield player after clinching a $5million deal with Major League Soccer.

The next move is for Rangers to obtain a work permit for the American star who already has six caps for the full national team having come through the ranks.

Edu was at Ibrox for Saturday's 2-0 win over Hearts but he has now flown back to the USA to prepare for the World Cup qualifier in Guatemala on Wednesday when DaMarcus Beasley will be with him.

The midfielder was recommened by Mo Johnston, who worked with the player at Toronto FC in the MLS, and Rangers had him watched before making their move.

Johnston was coach at the Candian club before moving upstairs and believes Edu has a very bright future.

Rangers are pleased to have completed the deal but have to wait for the work permit situation to be sorted out and have now set the wheels in motion.

Edu will join Pedro Mendes, who made a fantastic debut against Hearts after his �£3million move from Portsmouth on Friday, and Spanish sensation Aaron Niguez who has joined on a two-year loan deal from Valencia.

Steve Davis is also set to become a Rangers player tomorrow. A fee has been agreed with Fulham for the midfielder, who was on loan at Ibrox last season. and a deal has been agreed with the player in principle. Davis has one or two things to tie up with Fulham but all things being equal he will be a Rangers player tomorow.

He is already in Scotland with the Northern Ireland squad preparing for Wednesday's friendly with George Burley's side at Hampden on Wednesday.

Subject to a work permit!!!! Mmm...hopefully this gets pushed through.

Havr to say bringing 4 midfielders in last week has impressed me. Surely Dailly can be released from his contract and Id say Hemdani will be sold now.

Subject to a work permit!!!! Mmm...hopefully this gets pushed through.

Havr to say bringing 4 midfielders in last week has impressed me. Surely Dailly can be released from his contract and Id say Hemdani will be sold now.

I can't see someone who has signed up for a year being released as soon and more money wasted, but with our track record who knows. Dailly can play in quite a few poistions, so I think he will be kept as back up. I think Hemdani will surely go as now we're out of europe he won't get another game for us this season :devil:

I hope Cousin and JCD go along with McCulloch and Adam but I can't see the latter 2 going TBO and will be back up only hopefully.

Work permit should be a formality as he's a first choice international.

Only has 6 caps though. Isn't it supposed to go on percentage of national games over a period of time? Although I think that certain circumstances are taken into account i.e. if he's fairly young and only just made an international breakthrough but is highly rated I presume by a panel of 'experts'.

Only has 6 caps though. Isn't it supposed to go on percentage of national games over a period of time? Although I think that certain circumstances are taken into account i.e. if he's fairly young and only just made an international breakthrough but is highly rated I presume by a panel of 'experts'.

Yeah, given the glowing reports on him, they'll surely see that he's one for the future in the national team and take that into account.

Mo Johnston has backed Mo Edu to become a sensation at Ibrox after playing his part in securing a $5 million move over the weekend.

There is still some bureaucracy to overcome as Rangers need to secure a work permit for 22 year old American star Edu, and a tribunal will make a decision on that next week.

However, once that hurdle is overcome, Toronto FC's director of Football, Johnston is convinced that the kid he drafted from college will be a major player for Rangers this season.

The former Rangers striker said: "I am quite sure that Mo will be a huge success at Rangers."

"He is a very good player already but he is still learning and he will learn from great coaches at Rangers."

"He is easily the best young player in the States right now and I have no doubts he will do really well at Rangers."

Johnston, while head coach at Toronto, drafted Edu from Maryland college last year and the defensive midfielder was voted Rookie of the Year in his first season for the club.

Rangers approached Johnston for recommendations on players and he had no hesitation in picking out California born Edu.

Walter Smith made initial inquiries at the end of last season and then stepped these up after having Edu watched at the Olympics, where he represented the USA.

Negotiations where then opened up with the MLS, who own the rights to all players in the league, and a deal was concluded.

Edu then flew into Glasgow and watched Saturday's Hearts game, then signed a five year contract, subject to a work permit. He then jetted back across the Atlantic to join the USA's full squad for Wednesday's World Cup tie in Guatemala.

Johnston added: "It was all a bit of a whirlwind. It's a great move for Mo and Rangers but it certainly leaves us with a big hole in our midfield."

"We picked him up from Maryland in the draft last year and he was a top players for us last season, winning the Rookie of the Year award."

"There was a lot of interest from other clubs but Rangers managed to get the deal done with MLS."

"They own the rights but we get a portion of the money."

"He can play right back and centre back as well as defensive midfield."

"I noticed that Rangers had signed Pedro Mendes and I think Mo can be the perfect foil for him."

"He is a big lad and he takes no prisoners. He is strong and he can break up the play really well."

"I have no doubts that Walter will get the best out of him."