Rangers winger Chris Burke has made his return from injury in the reserve team, following a four-month absence.

The 24-year-old played 45 minutes in a 2-1 defeat to St Johnstone in a closed doors game at Murray Park.

Burke last played for the Ibrox club's first team in the Scottish Cup semi-final win over Saints in April.

It was during the first half of that game that Burke was carried off with an ankle injury which prematurely ended his season.

As well as missing the Scottish Cup final win over Queen of the South, Burke also missed the Uefa Cup final defeat by Zenit St Petersburg, having played an important role in both cup runs.

The twice capped Scotland international came through the Rangers youth ranks before making a scoring debut in a league match against Kilmarnock in 2002.

Burke was given his international debut during Rangers boss Walter Smith's spell in charge of the national team.

The winger scored twice in a 5-1 win over Bulgaria in 2006 as Scotland went on to win the Kirin Cup.

he must hit the ground running now and start earning the new contract he was given. If he does not put in a decent effort this season i think we should be looking to off-load him. One good season in+- five is not good enough.

He should have been punted 3 years ago...he's never cut it for us and to be on 12k a week is a joke. He tries to run with the ball and gets blown over.

Correct, he HAS to produce now,and I would be surprised if he hasn't realised this,if not TA ! TA !

You have to ask what he's done since he held out for his 13k a week contract. And the answer is very little. I wouldn't want us to keep him on for more than 5k a week as a squad player so I probably hope he will leave as he doesn't look like he'll develop and contribute much at Ibrox.

He's not a Rangers fan and too money oriented by half.

I really rate Burke. He's a very gifted player, but he's been extremely unlucky with injuries. Only Webster and Smith have the potential to outdo him on that front. At the end of the day, I'd hate to lose him, but we can't be throwing money away on a 2 - 3 game-a-season player.

I'd offer him a new contract, but it wouldn't be an improved one. In fact I'd drop his basic wage back down to what it was before for a couple of seasons, with the potential to earn his current salary based on appearances. Then if he does enough to earn a wage increase (of which he's more than capable) then fair enough.