The Famine's Over

Guest grangers

Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it commendable, or palatable. I am regretting the seriousness of my tone in this argument as I believe it is a song based in banter and pokes fun at the plastic paddies in the c*lt*c support, and sadly Rangers fans are no longer allowed any banter these days.

Still it is an irrelevant song and defending it just because it technically doesn't break any law is absurd. Defending a song like "Hullo Hullo we are the RANGERS boys" would be a far more appropriate course of action...

You don't have to just believe, it IS a song that pokes fun at the PP, and the very fact, as you say in you're post, that it's ONLY Rangers fans who are not allowed banter should be the only reason needed to stand firm on this, this is far beyond the actual song, this is principle now, if you think discrimination is something to be dismissed then by all means carry on.

Why aren't Rangers fans allowed any banter these days ?, well IMO it has a lot to do with what was contained in you're post.

Just out of curiosity, where is you're personal "line in the sand" ?, if you have one of course.

You don't have to just believe, it IS a song that pokes fun at the PP, and the very fact, as you say in you're post, that it's ONLY Rangers fans who are not allowed banter should be the only reason needed to stand firm on this, this is far beyond the actual song, this is principle now, if you think discrimination is something to be dismissed then by all means carry on.

Why aren't Rangers fans allowed any banter these days ?, well IMO it has a lot to do with what was contained in you're post.

Just out of curiosity, where is you're personal "line in the sand" ?, if you have one of course.

Fans should be allowed banter, but this song goes beyond banter in the context in which some fans are using it. To me its like waving a red flag at a bull. akin to the "come and have a go if you think your hard enough" line. It is daft, and was obvious that people would find it offensive.

Defending the right to have banter is just, but given the witch-hunt we currently face, this song was bound to raise trouble (rightly or wrongly) and is an inappropriate choice. In the current climate we must be street-wise!

I think that this is a catchy song, but feel alot of people sing it, and defend it as it is walking the tight-rope of the 'acceptable' line. The statements from Rangers around the issue have suggested they view it as acceptable yet contentious.

In the context of a joke, the song is fine, but when it is presented as a serious topic, especially to someone with no interest in football (like the media articles), it will appear offensive and inflamatory.

Perhaps one step back to take two step forwards in this case might be more appropriate? Stick to FOOTBALL related banter (for now at least). Your right that we cannot lie down and take this persecution, but if we stick to football related topics we should (can?) not be touched.

In a time when everyone is so politically correct you have to be careful even eating your breakfast, ALL banter can be deemed offensive to someone. My "line in the sand"? well how can I answer that? it depends on the songs and their context... every situation is different. But in this case most people knew it would be questioned and we have invited this negative press.

It's a difficult topic to discuss due to the fact its a joke that is meant to offend (or at least wind up), and sadly common sense will never prevail. Its all petty point scoring, but I fear the judges could be mistaken for the boxing judges at a chinese fight at the beijing olympics in this case...

andrew is your 'line in the sand' dependent on who is being offended? If so then it's a pretty vague line because these days there's as many Rangers fans offended by our own chants as there is Celtic fans, and this gets on my goat. It's bad enough fighting the opposition without fighting each other.

The whole issue is ridiculous...

A crap song but it's not racist and for the politicians to be once again wasting their time indulging MOPEs is laughable.

Indeed Frankie, although the laugh is on us once again.

The problem with this song is, in the first instance it pokes fun at people who have died. The party line of it being banter was totally gone when some idiot decided to extrapolate that chorus into an entire song that is indeed racist and sectarian.

Time to move on, regardless of what they sang on Saturday

Unfortunately moving on it's not an option when the playing field is so slewed.

The MOPEs will not be happy until our club is closed. Unfortunately, it appears they have the tacit support of all so-called 'neutral organisations' while our own club are too busy arguing with their own employees and fans to show some leadership.

The Rangers AGM will be most interesting.