The Famine's Over

Guest grangers
The problem with this song is, in the first instance it pokes fun at people who have died. The party line of it being banter was totally gone when some idiot decided to extrapolate that chorus into an entire song that is indeed racist and sectarian.

Time to move on, regardless of what they sang on Saturday

No it doesn't, I've heard this crap bandied around on lots of message boards, tell me mate, how can they go home if they're dead FFS! ?.

This song is aimed at the pretend irishmen on the other side of the city, no others, and at it's most provocative it is aimed at the survivors of the famine not the victims.

Frankie, right on mate :thup:

"The issue here again is of hypocrisy. Once again Rangers supporters are under the spotlight while others are not." as you said.

I think the reason for that can be seen on this thread :(

It doesn't use death and suffering to have a dig. It uses their own nomenclature to take the p!ss.

The sing about the famine is not racist and it's not offensive. It's just banter.

It's also a crap song.

I really disagree with this Frankie

I think its a great song. :onetoomany:

Dont even know why this is even up for debate. Surely we could scrutinise every one of ours and their songs and have the lot banned. I doubt anyone who has comlpained is actually offended by this. This is just Old Firm cheap tit-for-tat in my opinion

This may not go down too well, but I always had reservations about the song. Debate the rights and wrongs of it all you like, the fact is that we should be keeping our nose clean and away from controversy.

Is the song about Rangers? No. The way its been portrayed in the media is very one-sided. How they can call the song SECTARIAN is beggars belief. Racist? perhaps. Offensive? to genuine Irish probably. Sectarian? well its big bad rangers singing about celtic fans so it must be!

That is my main gripe with the issue. Telling fans of a scottish club who pretend to be irish and revel in flying a foreign flag (not just the fans, I have seen the tricolour atop of their stand when attending an OF) to go back to ireland seems rather logical if they love the place so much. It is also kind to inform them that they are NOT at risk of dying like millions that lost their lives in previous generations.

The fuss and the media attention around the song: unfair yet predictable. Rangers fans singing it: unecessary. The screening of only rangers fans songs: inexcusible.

That's a perfectly understandable position to take andrew. You're not comfortable with the song and presumably take full advantage of your right not to sing it.

Meanwhile, the rest of us who choose to sing it should have the same right to do so, without contrived offendedness being used to prevent us.

The problem with this song is, in the first instance it pokes fun at people who have died. The party line of it being banter was totally gone when some idiot decided to extrapolate that chorus into an entire song that is indeed racist and sectarian.

Time to move on, regardless of what they sang on Saturday

This is simply wrong. The song clearly does not poke fun at those who died. It does however poke fun at those who simultaneously ridicule the institutions of the country that sustains them and profess allegiance to another country across the Irish Sea. The song does nothing more than expose the hypocrisy of the MOPES and that in my book is worthwhile.

The song still has the line "the famines over why dont you go home" that is a line that trivialises the death of millions is it not????

It seems to me that you are in grave danger of emulating the shape-shifters across the city who continually manipulate the truth to suit a pre-arranged agenda.

I'd just like to add that I think this is a truly wonderful song that has hit the hypocrisy spot square on. It is perhaps more relevant and more appropriate than anything we have come up with in a long time. Which of course is exactly why the self-deceiving cretins are so furiously trying to get it banned.

Sing it loud and sing it proud because it does more to reveal the lies and absurdity of the celtic community than all the protestations on football forums. We've finally found a way to take this debate into the public forum and I'll be damned if I'll give it up willingly. Neither will I bow to the wishy-washy morality of fear and self-doubt that pervades so much of the current Rangers support. How disappointling to see such weakness revealed in this thread.

The dhims have for over a century now used the famine and used the Irish issue to every end to gain favour and money from all walks of life.

Now it seems that because everyone does not live in there tinted fantasy world and agree with them and indeed telling them to go home if the famine was a cause for them to move here, I again see no issue in that. It is playing them at there own game. It is showing that on one hand they sing about the famine, and also sing about the glorification of Terrorists who murdered men, women and children. This has been at its loudest in recent years and has been ignored by all parties who appear to be on Rangers case at every turn.

By this song getting the national coverage, maybe the dhims will be outed as outright hyporites and deepest in the dye sectarian bigots/racists as we all know they are.

I am not saying that we do not have our own band of trolls, but it needs to be pointed out that this whiter than white club are bigots and racists.

A Statement from the RST......

TRUST CALLS FOR COMMON SENSE OVER RACISM SLURS

The Trust is deeply disappointed that the club has failed to repulse a mischievous and politically-inspired campaign of vilification with regard to the “Famine’s Over” chant

The club has failed to recognise that this campaign is orchestrated by extremist apologists for sectarian murder and is intended to smear both the support and club as racist.

The “Famine’s Over” chant is quite clearly a typical football chant mocking the myths rival fans perpetuate about themselves and should be treated as such.

The Trust condemns in the strongest possible terms the lies being perpetrated and the stupidity of public figures in dignifying them by their responses.

The Trust has a long and noble record of fighting racism and sectarianism in all it’s forms and therefore speaks from a position of credibility and strength in rejecting these slurs.

We further condemn all those whose bitter and twisted agenda seeks to wrongly portray Scotland as a hotbed of bigotry, contrary to all evidence, in order to damage both the country in general and Rangers in particular for their own narrow sectarian ends.

By dignifying such ludicrous complaints the club has opened the floodgates to similar insincere campaigns in the future.

http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rstsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=228&Itemid=1