The Famine's Over

The only truly offensive issue arising from this matter is the way in which Rangers bent its knee to the MOPES and rushed to condemn its own while expressing solidarity with the tarts in green. It would be beyond belief if we hadn't seen this so often already.

When have I ever said that I sung it?

apologies mate, I assumed that since you felt so strongly about it that you sang it?

I am uncomfortable with this song as it has xenophobic undertones, the lyrics that were retrospectively added are racist and supremist to an extent. Whilst I agree that the song was intended as banter it has now gone beyond banter.

Since your average spetic fan will queue up to be described as Irish is there any banter apparent? you can hardly slag someone about something that they revel in now can you?

The other issue I have is why are we so bothered about where Celtic fans put their allegiances? Why do we care that they align themselves with Ireland?

This song does us more harm than good, and that opinion is vindicated in the backlash that we are now experiencing.

andrew is your 'line in the sand' dependent on who is being offended? If so then it's a pretty vague line because these days there's as many Rangers fans offended by our own chants as there is Celtic fans, and this gets on my goat. It's bad enough fighting the opposition without fighting each other.

It's not on who is being offended, but what has been said that is meant to cause the offence. Talking about killing people (IRA novo song, or Neil Lennon song) are beyond banter. Calling someone a w*nker is banter...

Your right that it does seem to be only the one group of people that are being offended by "banter" that has been in football for generations, and that is one of the major problems...

Guest grangers
It's not on who is being offended, but what has been said that is meant to cause the offence. Talking about killing people (IRA novo song, or Neil Lennon song) are beyond banter. Calling someone a w*nker is banter...

Your right that it does seem to be only the one group of people that are being offended by "banter" that has been in football for generations, and that is one of the major problems...

Who was talking about killing people ?

Who was talking about killing people ?

I was being asked where my line in the sand was. I was giving an example of what I deemed banterous! :onetoomany:

I agree with the trusts statement. I originally sang the song at parkhead openly. The only reason I appear to be opposed to it is I could see us getting in hot water over the song (which we have).

I don't think fighting smart is weakness, but until we have enough power to fight this directly as people are proposing, we will get slaughtered in the media and the whole country who have no interest in football will have a distorted view of rangers fans, perpetuating the myth celt*c fans have started.

I don't think fighting smart is weakness

indeed. the celtic fans are smart enough to see the ground's moved slightly - with everyone so sensitive about pluralism/multiculturalism they realise they only have to shout "racist" to get everyone's attention.

crap, but true. we need to be smarter than crying and shouting "injustice" even though it really is.

Guest grangers

I don't think fighting smart is weakness, but until we have enough power to fight this directly as people are proposing, we will get slaughtered in the media and the whole country who have no interest in football will have a distorted view of rangers fans, perpetuating the myth celt*c fans have started.

We already have been/are being slaughtered in the media, I'm sorry mate but how you can propose sitting back and being shafted (again) is just beyond me, enough is enough, we don't pick any more battles, we fight them all IMO. :rfc:

We already have been/are being slaughtered in the media, I'm sorry mate but how you can propose sitting back and being shafted (again) is just beyond me, enough is enough, we don't pick any more battles, we fight them all IMO. :rfc:

I'm not saying we should be sitting back, but tell anyone that doesnt know anything about football that we are singing a song that tells the irish to go home sounds like we are the racist biggoted ones. I don't believe that, but it is a hard stance to take in the current social climate!

Our name is mud with alot of quarters, and personally I believe the best way to combat this is to redeem our reputation by keeping our noses clean and only then will our voice regain credibility.

Try looking at this issue from the point of view of a person not interested in football... it only seems logical and banterous to those who know the context. Our views/reservations/complaints will be dismissed as long as the status quo continues. Time to get street-smart methinks :thup:

Guest grangers
I'm not saying we should be sitting back, but tell anyone that doesnt know anything about football that we are singing a song that tells the irish to go home sounds like we are the racist biggoted ones. I don't believe that, but it is a hard stance to take in the current social climate!

Our name is mud with alot of quarters, and personally I believe the best way to combat this is to redeem our reputation by keeping our noses clean and only then will our voice regain credibility.

Try looking at this issue from the point of view of a person not interested in football... it only seems logical and banterous to those who know the context. Our views/reservations/complaints will be dismissed as long as the status quo continues. Time to get street-smart methinks :thup:

I agree with you're last statement re: street-smart, I don't however think the rest of you're post is street-smart, keeping schtum and doing what we're told (dropping the song) is tantamount to admitting we are in the wrong here, well we're not, if people don't like it well tough, street-smart is ramming it right back up them.

You seem to be forgetting that people who are not interested in football shouldn't even have a clue what was sung at the potato dome, they do now though, because our media want them to hear their (very much one sided) side of the story, why is that and do you really think dropping this song will change it ?.

Carry on mate, let this one go, then the next one, then the next one.

It'll be the Sash and Derry's walls next, only a matter of time if this is dropped.